Two-thirds of Our Population Can Not Name One Supreme Court Justice but Knows Everything About the Kardashian’s, and Here’s Why That’s Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.
We live in a society that glamorizes the Kardashian’s but, for what? What do they give to this country that’s positive? They are famous for their father’s name; a father who has been deceased for 12 years, a father who wasn’t present in their lives once step father Bruce Jenner married their mother, a father who worked his butt off to make the name that he had for himself, a name that his son and three daughters have sh*t on. 

Despite all the recent controversy surrounding U.S. Supreme Court decisions on health care, immigration and other issues, nearly two-thirds of Americans can’t name even a single member of the Supreme Court. One of them having just passed away, and the talk about him covering all of the news stations Americans couldn’t even give you his name. It’s Antonin Scalia, in case you’re one of the two-thirds. 

The fact that two-thirds of the population could give you each daughters name, and their spouses name and their children’s names but can not name one Supreme Court justice is embarrassing. Now I may not know all the Supreme Court justices but I can at least give you three current appointees. Knowing those three names; I’m smarter than two-thirds of the population, pretty sad. 

Anyone with half a brain can agree that the Kardashian family is a prime example of everything that is wrong with America, and if you disagree congratulations!! You’re most likely in that two-thirds doesn’t care enough to educate themselves on our government; which as a U.S. citizen you probably should since they’re making decisions on your life. 

The Kardashian’s have completely destroyed the American Dream; they’ve taught young people that the key to life is; do nothing, be nothing, get lucky and get rich. And let me tell you these young people are taking that and running with it. Too often these days I see so much talent being wasted on pointless Twitter trolls and Instagram memes, could you imagine what our “millennials” could accomplish if they got rid of the idea that the world owes them something. An idea that they got from the talentless Kardashian clan. 

But, it’s not only our millennials that struggle with this concept. It’s the baby boomers, the Generation X, the Generation Y and the millennials. Any one born from 1946 to 2006, we do not include the most recent generation, is part of that two-thirds. Yes, you read that right. It’s not just the younger generations that can name a Kardashian but not a Supreme Court judge its all generations for the past 70 years, which is surprising to most of you considering the adults in our lives were alive during the appointment of all the current Supreme Court justices. 

After talking to a colleague about this she said “I doubt my parents at 43 and 45 could name a Supreme Court judge but I guarantee they could name at least two Kardashian’s.” Is this really the kind of country you want to live in? A country that has its youngest citizens voting for the leader of the free world yet can’t tell you important leaders in our government; there’s only one solution. Educate yourselves, if you don’t want to be part of that two-thirds that is clueless about important leaders, educate yourselves.

I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.
Hi, guys! I'm JB and I am Campus Correspondent for Her Campus BloomU!