The Trials and Tribulations of Decorating a Graduation Cap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

It’s that time of year again, where along with stressing about finals, papers and study groups, you get to break down over leaving some of the best years of your life behind and wonder how on earth you’ll survive in this seemingly-fabled “real world” that everyone references when they talk to you. How do you handle it? By completely avoiding all of your work and focusing on what’s vitally important the week that you graduate: decorating your cap.

Trial #1: Choosing a DesignWhoa, baby! Prepare to be blown away by the profusion of ideas located on places like Pinterest, Instagram and even a simple google image search. It can be difficult to choose a design that you like that isn’t overdone, so be careful here. You can also pick and choose certain aspects of a few separate caps to create one that speaks to you and will let the crowd on graduation day know exactly what your passions are.

Tribulation #1: Shopping for (but not necessarily paying for) SuppliesOnce you’ve decided on your design, it’s time to spend money (that you don’t have) to purchase the supplies you need. Glitter is optional, but definitely recommended if it suits your personality. The expense of the supplies shouldn’t be ridiculous, and the estimated price range is anywhere from $5 and $20.

Writer Keara Hozella’s work in progress

Trial #2: Actually Putting the Plethora of Stuff You Just Bought TogetherThis is another tricky step, as the supplies you purchased could cause a bit of a mess, especially the glitter. Actually assembling your decorations on your graduation cap should probably be an outside activity, and you can get a breath of fresh air in between lamenting the loss of the past four years along with panicking about your life goals. Pro tip: Adhesive spray glue doesn’t work as well as you think it will, and will also give you a headache. Choose a bottle of regular glue, a glue stick or a hot glue gun instead to avoid the mayhem. It may also be easier to buy stick-on letters or scrapbooking stickers instead of attempting to write them on your cap with paint or Sharpie. Places like Wal-Mart and Michael’s are great places to find cheap decorations to fit all of your needs and your level of creativity.

Tribulation #2: Seeing Your Design Transform in Front of Your EyesOnce you get past how much time you may be wasting instead of studying for your remaining finals, decorating your cap seems like a fantastic investment within your day. It’s exciting to see it all come together and to imagine wearing a cap that sets you apart from the rest of your graduating class, as well as aiding your family and friends in the search for you after your graceful walk across the stage.

Keara’s finished product

Trial #3: Realizing How Little Time You Have Before Your GraduationThis is probably the worst part of the experience, as each step brings you closer to no longer procrastinating, and to the realization that you’re graduating in less than 72 hours. Get your emotions out however you want. You’re graduating and can use it as an excuse for any situation this week, including failing your finals and acting a little out of character. Go for it!

Tribulation #3: You’ve done it! You’re supposedly more prepared for graduation now that you know you’ll have an amazingly awesome cap to complete your boring gown ensemble. Also, congratulations for completing four (or more) years of that silly thing called college and earning a Bachelor’s Degree.

Good luck, collegiettes!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.