Some of the Best Blogs & Websites to Help You Procrastinate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

It’s the perfect time to start back up with that bad habit you love to embrace now that the semester is officially in full swing and professors have stopped reiterating their syllabi.  You guessed it—it’s procrastinating, or as I affectionately call it, procrasti-reading, or procrasti-web-surfing, or procrasti-paint-your-nails… you get the idea.  Just put procrast- in front of anything that you’d rather do instead of that pile of homework that continues to grow.   My favorite of these activities is to browse the web and distract myself with interesting reading materials. I’ve compiled a list of my top five “good reads” below. 

Michelle K.’s Poetry

Michelle K. is a 22 year old poet who hasn’t been published yet, but she definitely should be.  Her poems delve into the darker parts of her psyche as she grapples with recovery from an eating disorder and other kinds of self-harm.  There are dozens of poems that address her recovery, along with others that perfectly capture her first heartbreak, explain how to be happy, and record life in all its glory and misery.  TW for some graphic content.

Dorm Delicious

While some of the posts are a bit outdated, Dorm Delicious still has a bunch of great posts ranging from listicles of the kinds of roommates you’ll encounter throughout your college career to study skills and dorm decorating tips.  Don’t worry, the blog still applies to upperclassmen who have moved on from the prison-like dorm rooms!

What Should We Call Me

This tumblr is the least reading-intensive one on the list.  These now-graduated collegiettes™ navigate life in the real world with hilariously captioned .gifs that include reactions to when the delivery person is an hour late to attending monotonous work meetings, along with typical college student struggles. 

Sweet N’ Sour Musings

Two Bloomsburg best friends, one Sweet, and one Sour, capture the essence of randomness and creative thinking on their blog.  The site includes debates over Harry Potter characters (as every fantastic English major blog should), along with harrowing trips to the nail salon and paper shredder (not simultaneously, of course).  If you’re looking for equal parts humor combined with sassy intellectual banter, this is the blog for you. 

The Happily Ever After Project

This 30 year old New York blogger has survived her twenties, and decided to start a blog on her own happiness.  While her blog’s name may lead you to believe that it’s all about finding her Prince Charming and having the most perfect wedding in the history of the world, it’s almost the opposite.  Her “about” section declares, “my mission is to expand the definition of living happily ever after to include relishing the joy to be found in the here and now,” and she does just that while documenting her own personal happily ever after, which includes her travels around New York, her fascinating eats, and the art she encounters along the way.  This one is fantastic for escaping the small town of Bloomsburg and taking you to the Big Apple with just an Internet connection. 

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.