Nina Hingston ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Nina Hingston ‘14

Year: Junior

Major: Digital Forensics/Criminal Justice/Spanish

Hometown: Nazareth, Pa

Relationship Status: Single and loving life!

HC: What activities are you involved in on and off campus?

NH: I am the Vice President of Community Government Association and the Class of 2014 and also the Vice President of the OWLS. I am a Board of Governor’s Scholar and am on the Non Academic Grievance Board.

HC: What made you choose to attend Bloomsburg?

NH: I loved the campus, and it is one of only 9 schools in America that offer a B.S. in Digital Forensics.

HC: What has been your favorite Bloom experience so far?

NH: Coordinating the Big Event, a day-long community service project where students go into town and do service projects to help strengthen the relationship between the University and the town. This year we had almost 2,000 students sign up!

HC: The word around Bloomsburg is that you have a pretty awesome music career going! What does that mean to you?

NH:  The fact that I have had so much success doing something that I love means everything to me. I love being able to connect with people when they listen to my life stories. They hear me sing and think “hey, that happened to me too!” One little girl told me she wanted to be like me when she got older. That was enough to last me a lifetime.

HC: You’ve also self-produced your own record, correct? What was that experience like?

NH:  To see the finished product was so exhilarating. I had been through some interesting experiences during the time I was writing the album, so sharing those memories with the world was a little scary, but I had such amazing support and love from my fans it made it all worth it. I did everything myself. I wrote the songs, played the songs, recorded every instrument, mixed the tracks, produced the album, and put together every single CD. 

HC: According to some posters I’ve seen around campus, you’re also performing on the Quad with some other acts. How cool is that?

NH:  SO COOL! I love playing with my friends and of course we love to meet other musicians. I can’t wait!

HC: Are you influenced by any other artists/musical acts?

NH: Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, The Bittersweets, Lucinda Williams, Kathleen Edwards, Mumford & Sons, everyone!

HC: What is the most embarrassing song on your iTunes?

NH: She’s So Wrong. I wrote it as a joke and it became my most popular song! I hate it! 

HC: Do you have a celebrity crush?

NH: Taylor Swift!

HC: Now that Bloomsburg is defrosting a bit, do you have any favorite warm-weather activities?

NH: I love just being outside and going to the national park by my house with my best friend.

HC: Is there anything you still want to cross off your Bloomsburg bucket list?

NH: I want to leave my mark. I want people to remember me years from now for what I’ve done for Bloomsburg.

HC: Do you have any specific career aspirations or plans for after graduation?

NH: I hope to work for the federal government either for the FBI, CIA, Department of State, Department of Justice, or Department of Homeland Security.

HC: As finals week approaches and summer is just around the corner, do you have any great summer plans?

NH: I am interning at the American Detective Agency, a private investigating firm in Allentown. The man I’m working with has actually done work with some celebrities, the Gottis, etc. I can’t wait. 

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.