Mug Recipes to Soothe Your Soul in the Upcoming Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Nothing is better than a warm blanket, Netflix and a warm gooey cake of some kind during a nice cold day or when you are snowed in. However, finding a warm brownie in a dorm room can seem impossible at times. Fear not, all of your problems can be solved with a microwave, a mug and some simple ingredients from a quick trip to the store.

Here are some simple recipes you can complete no matter where you live on or off campus. P.S: any of these are delicious with a scoop of ice cream on top! 

Brownie in a Mug

4 tbsp flour4 tbsp sugar2 tbsp cocoa powder2 tbsp melted butter or oil2 tbsp water1/3 tbsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients and microwave for 1 minute. If you like a brownie that isn’t gooey then try microwaving a few seconds longer. 

Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug

1 Tbsp butter1 Tbsp sugar1 Tbsp brown sugarpinch of vanillapinch of salt1 egg yolk3 Tbsp flour1 & 1/2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (or regular)

In a coffee mug, mix butter with sugars. Stir with a fork until well combined. Add vanilla and salt, stir. Add egg yolk (yolk only, not the white), and mix well. Stir in flour until just combined. Lastly, stir in chocolate chips. You could also substitute chocolate chips for M & M’s, or any other cookie ingredients you like such as coconut or nuts of any kind. 

Banana Mug Cake

1 tbsp butter, melted1 egg (lightly beaten)1 tbsp milk1 ripe banana (mashed)3 tbsp plain flour3 tbsp brown sugar½ tsp baking powder

Put butter into mug and microwave for 10 seconds to melt, then add in egg and milk and lightly beat with a fork until combined. Next, add mashed banana into the mug and continue stirring with your fork until mixed through. Finally, add dry ingredients into the mug and beat with your fork until combined. Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat. The pudding should be risen and still slightly gooey in the middle. If you like it less gooey, microwave it in 10 second intervals until done.

Avery is a senior Marketing major at Bloomsburg University. She is from around the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of Pennsylvania with the hometown of Sweet Valley. With an interest in fashion, she spends a lot of time ordering clothes online and blogging. Fashion is not the only thing taking up her time, as she also enjoys reading, obsessing over HBO's Girls or Game of Thrones and sipping on a nice hot cup of jasmine tea. She is also an avid Harry Potter fan, and can be found meddling around in video games at times as well as completely engulfing herself in various Netfilx TV show marathons such as Dexter, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead with her boyfriend of four years.
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.