This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.
Michael DeVries ‘14

Year: Senior
Major: Mass Communications
Hometown: Basking Ridge, NJ
Fraternity: Acacia
Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Her Campus: What was your reason for rushing a Fraternity?
Michael DeVries: I was put into a dorm with two random sophomores who were nothing like me, so I figured it’d be a good idea to broaden my horizons socially.

HC: Why did you choose Acacia?
MD: When I was a freshman, Acacia was filled with guys from New Jersey.  So instantly I had something in common with them and thought they were all cool guys.

HC: What positions have you held?
MD: I have been Vice President, New Member Educator, and Community Service Chair.

HC: Is it hard to balance school work and your Fraternity life?
MD: When I was Vice President and New member Educator it was tough to juggle both Acacia and school, but now that I am just the community service chair it isn’t as bad.

HC: What was your favorite community service project that you and your brothers participated in? Why was it your favorite?
MD: My favorite community service project was probably “The Big Event”, because we got to help the people of Bloomsburg fix the damage that was done to their property by the flood.  Overall it was a rewarding experience for our organization.

HC: What is one of your favorite memories you have from being in Acacia?
MD: My favorite memory from being in Acacia is probably the time when it was really nice weather in Bloom and I was hanging out with all of my brothers on Fetterman, grilling and playing sports.

HC: Do you think some of them could be your future groomsmen?
MD: I absolutely think some of my brothers will be my groomsmen; I plan on staying in contact with them for the rest of my life.

HC: Will you come back to visit your Acacia brothers once you graduate?
MD: If my (hopeful) job permits, then I will be back in Bloomsburg with my brothers very often.

HC: What is the one thing you will miss most about Bloomsburg?
MD: What I will miss most about Bloomsburg is living on my own with all my friends and brothers.