Making the Most of Your Valentine’s Day: LDR Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

If you and your significant other are not able to spend Valentine’s Day together, you are not alone. 35% of college relationships are long distance, according to an April 2014 survey from Statistic Brain. Below are some ways that you can still enjoy V-Day despite not physically being with the one that you love.

Set-up a Skype Date.This is the next best alternative to going on an actual date. Establish a time at least the day before so that you and your S/O can choose how you want to spend your date. Some suggested dates include watching a movie together, ordering-out the same type of food or making a new craft together.

Send Your Boyfriend Something Special.Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to deliver a memento of your love. Small thoughtful gifts are perfectly fine. However, if you want to go all out then that is great too! Your perception of Valentine’s Day as a couple may be the deciding factor as to whether or not you want to plan extravagantly. Letters, pictures, candy, stuffed animals and flowers are all popular Valentine items, but don’t let those limit your ideas!

Treat Yourself.You know what they say, “You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.”  Why not splurge on yourself a bit? Buy the dress that you have been eyeing up online for the past couple of days or eat that piece of cheesecake you told yourself you would not touch until you end your diet. Choose whatever that special thing is that makes you happy.

Participate in “Galentine’s” Day.If you have not heard this clever play on words yet, you will be glad that you did now. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a few of the people who know you the best, your closest girl friends. Put aside a few hours of the day to engage in non-relationship related festivities. Break out the nail polish and catch up on Pretty Little Liars.

Remind Your S/O How Much They Mean to You.I happened to mention this last, but it is certainly not the least important detail. Aside from all of the added pleasures Valentine’s Day provides for us, make sure that your special someone knows the real meaning of the day: how much you care about them. This can be achieved in an assortment of ways. A long phone or video call in the absence of physically being with them may be the second best choice.

Hello readers,     My name is Amanda Kesselring, but I prefer to be addressed as Kess. I am a Sophomore at Bloomsburg University pursing a Psychology Major, Concentration in Gerontology as well as a Spanish Minor. You can find me all throughout campus involved in a ton of activities and organizations such as being a Cadet in Bloomsburg's Army ROTC program, working as a Community Assistant in Schuylkill Hall, Planning events for the Developing Ambitious Students Leaders senior planning committee, writing articles for Her Campus Bloom U and of course studying for class. I love Bloomsburg University and will continue to make the most of my time here leading up to graduation. I strive to make the most out of life and seize all of the opportunities that I obtain. "The most important shot isn't the one you just made or will make next, rather it is the one that you have been preparing for."-Kess
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.