Kathryn Saulinas ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Age: 21Year: SeniorMajor: EnglishHometown: North Wales, PARelationship status: Very much in love with my friends!

Her Campus: Other than being the Editor for Her Campus Bloom, what other activities/organizations are you involved in?Kathryn Saulinas: I am News Editor for The Voice (it’s awesome, go read it!) and Arts Communication Assistant for the College of Liberal Arts. I’m also a Chapter Advisor for HC, as well.

HC: What is your dream job?KS: I really want to say Editor in Chief of some fashion magazine or a reporter at a major daily newspaper but I’m also really open to the possibility that my dream job doesn’t exist yet and that I’ll have to make it whenever I get there.

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?KS: I’ve never been to London but I have this weird sense that I was born in the wrong country and that I was really meant to be British. So, I think I would pick London.

HC: What is something that you wish you knew a freshman that you know now?KS: It is possible to get sick of Commons, IK and the Husky. I also wish I knew that there were potential friends waiting for me in all my classes and activities. If I hadn’t been shy, I would have met them way sooner.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?KS: I’ll be in Paris covering fashion week or interrogating some Senator about embezzlement and fraud. I’ve got some options there. But I’ll definitely have a lot of cats and bake a lot of cookies and my movie collection will be huge!

HC: Who is your celebrity crush and why?KS: Well, Hermione Granger was basically the best thing that happened to me as a child so Emma Watson is the epitome of perfection in my eyes. She’s so classy and intelligent and uses her fame for amazing causes, like the UN’s He for She campaign.

HC: What do you like the most about your role as Editor for HC Bloomsburg?KS: I love that we get to write content about anything that interests college girls, which could range from current fashion trends to sexual health concerns. We have a lot of freedom in that respect. But mostly, I love meeting all my writers and hearing their story ideas and reading their amazing content. It makes my job so much fun.

HC: What are you most proud of?KS: That’s heavy. I’m really proud of the people I’ve surrounded myself with. Every one of my friends is amazingly talented and so supportive of each other. It really warms my heart. I also take a lot of pride in retaining some of my friends from high school. They really are the loves of my life so they made the long-distance friendship seem like they were right next me.

HC: What are three character traits that your friends would use to describe you?KS: Loud, definitely. Maybe dedicated and quirky.

HC: What is your greatest fear?KS: I’ve been very focused on one specific path in life and I am absolutely terrified that I will get into the real world and realize that I actually hate my chosen career path or that I’m terrible at it. I really don’t have a back-up plan.

HC: What is your biggest regret?KS: Yikes. I am definitely not one of those “everything happens for a reason” people but I also don’t really like the word “regret.” There’s nothing we can do to change the past so why bother thinking about it? But I do wish I had put myself out there more as a freshman in terms of activities. I’ve met my best friends through my classes and things like The Voice so I wish I had known them three and a half years ago.

HC: Why did you choose your major?KS: I always had a strong liberal arts background so I liked reading and writing from a young age. Plus, I grew up obsessing over Gilmore Girls so the impact of literature was really evident to me and I liked the idea of exploring new worlds and ideas in books. So English it was. I’m really not good at anything else, so that’s lucky.

HC: What was the last book you read for fun?KS: Probably Gone Girl, back in the summer.

HC: What would you do if you won the lottery?KS: Oh my, so many things! I’d travel around the world. That’s something I’ve always wanted to do but plane tickets aren’t cheap. I’d buy my parents some nice vacation home because they’re literally the best people I know and I definitely owe them a ton for putting up with me for 21 years and being so supportive. Then I’d buy a penthouse in Manhattan and a flat in London and fill them with cats and books and all my friends and we would just hang out all the time. The rest of my money would be spent on Birkin bags, Louboutins and leather jackets.

Favorite……Movie? Where do I even begin? Pride and Prejudice and Breakfast at Tiffany’s are probably my most-played DVDs but I’m also guilty of watching Love ActuallyMy Best Friend’s Wedding, Frozen, Pitch Perfect, My Week with Marilyn, Good Will Hunting, and The Prince and Me on a monthly basis. That hardly narrows it down but I can’t pick just one!…Guilty pleasure? I don’t really know if I believe in the concept of guilty pleasures. But I do think I obsess over cat videos way more than people realize.…Food? Mashed potatoes, but not just any mashed potatoes. They have to be my mom’s. Or pita chips and salsa.…Perfume? Chanel Coco Mademoiselle…Musician? That’s tough. Florence and the Machine, Sam Smith, Billy Joel and Ed Sheeran all come to mind.

Least Favorite……Class you’ve taken? Probably Intro to Chemistry, I barely passed and it was awful.…Candy? I’m pretty much a candy monster so I like it all. Except taffy or caramel.…TV show? I would be completely happy if shows like Duck Dynasty and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo did not exist.…Thing about guys? Those slide-on sandals and socks. Seriously, you were one step away from putting on sneakers…

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.