How to Start the Semester Off Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

We are all diving into a new semester and it’s the perfect time to embark with a new, clean slate. Whether you want to accomplish any goals you have put off in the past or hope to increase your GPA, now is your chance! 

Don’t slack off in classes once they begin.This may seem pretty obvious, but it can potentially make or break your semester in terms of grades. Although no one wants to spend hours upon hours working on assignments on a daily basis, keeping up with schoolwork now will really pay off towards final exams week.

Remember the importance of sleep.With so much going on, sleep is often one of the last things on our mind. Experts say that 8 hours of sleep is essential for the body to function properly, but let’s be honest, how many of us actually follow this guideline? It almost seems impossible for the busy college student. You know your body better than anyone else so if 8 hours of sleep every night is just too impractical, then set aside the required amount of time that you think you will need to feel refreshed and not like a zombie in the morning.

Balance work with fun.I personally value this so much, and those of you who already do this are ahead of the game! There is no denying that college comes with a large workload. That being said, make sure to take time every week if not everyday, for yourself. Hobbies that make you happy will also decrease stress levels.

Ask for help as soon as you feel yourself falling behind.This is especially crucial when it comes to your classes. There is no better time to seek help if you anticipate struggling than within the first few weeks of the start of the semester. Bloomsburg offers a ton of resources such as the Writing Center, Math Lab, Student Resource Center and Career and Development Center, among others. You do not want to be that person who tries to get help a few weeks before final exams week. Chances are, by the middle of the semester there will no longer be any tutors available.

Hello readers,     My name is Amanda Kesselring, but I prefer to be addressed as Kess. I am a Sophomore at Bloomsburg University pursing a Psychology Major, Concentration in Gerontology as well as a Spanish Minor. You can find me all throughout campus involved in a ton of activities and organizations such as being a Cadet in Bloomsburg's Army ROTC program, working as a Community Assistant in Schuylkill Hall, Planning events for the Developing Ambitious Students Leaders senior planning committee, writing articles for Her Campus Bloom U and of course studying for class. I love Bloomsburg University and will continue to make the most of my time here leading up to graduation. I strive to make the most out of life and seize all of the opportunities that I obtain. "The most important shot isn't the one you just made or will make next, rather it is the one that you have been preparing for."-Kess
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.