Dressing Up For Class: Channel Your Inner Audrey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

During the first few days of school, most of us try to look our best. Dressing up for the first day is what we used to do in middle school and high school so why should it be any different for college? And why does dressing up seem to stop after the first week or few weeks of school? It doesn’t have to! We all love our yoga pants but this year try to keep them in your drawers while you’re at class and save them for when you’re lounging around your apartment or dorm room.

What are the advantages of dressing to impress for class?

You won’t feel as tired. When we don’t want to dress up for class it’s easy to pick up a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and throw on our sneakers to run out the door. Wearing casual clothes doesn’t require much of a thought process and therefore our brain doesn’t get working until we are in class which can be too late, causing us to continue to be tired or grow tired. However, when you are dressing up for class and picking out an outfit, your brain is already being stimulated when you wake up in the morning. It may be a pain when you are doing it but waking up thirty minutes earlier than you usually do can wake your body up so that you don’t feel as tired when you’re in class. And when you’re not as tired, you will pay attention more which will hopefully result in getting better grades! So you look good AND you get good grades, what could be better?

Dressing up makes you feel good about yourself! We all know the saying you have to look your best to feel your best, right? This doesn’t just apply to going out on the weekends – it applies to class, too! When you show up to class in a nice and well-thought out outfit, you will feel better about yourself and feel more confident.

Your professors will respect you more. Most professors really enjoy their job and take pride in what they do and their outfits usually reflect those feelings. It’s not often that you find a male professor in something other than a suit or a female professor not wearing a dress or dress pants. When you dress nicely for class, your professors will take notice and appreciate you being there even more because it shows that you want to be in their class and shows them respect as an educator.

Whether you like it or not, you will probably have to do AT LEAST one presentation in your four years at college. There is nothing more unprofessional than giving a presentation in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. When giving a presentation, you are the focus of your entire class’ attention, so you need to dress in a manner that is professional. In the future, when you’re giving a presentation in front of your boss, you aren’t going to be in sweats so you shouldn’t be dressing down for presentations in college either.

“I think that playing dress-up begins at age five and never truly ends.” – Kate Spade. DRESSING UP IS FUN! Your style is your way of expressing who you are so get dolled up girls! And who doesn’t love compliments? Dressing up is definitely a way to earn yourself some “you look so nice today” admirations.

This year try to continue your first week streak! Dress up, feel good and look beautiful!