A Collegiette’s Guide to Packing Lunch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

For those who have nixed the meal plan and dining hall and are in search of a healthier option, packing lunches can be a great remedy. But what exactly should you pack in the super-chic lunch box you just bought? Here are some tips and a guide to start packing your lunch for the day.

Main Course

Start with a sandwich or even some leftovers. A container filled with grilled chicken and rice can be heated up in a microwave on campus for lunch and is a tasty substitute for greasy pizza. Also, a sandwich with lunch meat and some veggies is a great go-to.

Fruits & Veggies

Cut up fruits and veggies are perfect for between class as a snack or as part of your lunch. Bringing a whole apple can get a little messy, but apple slices are easier to eat and you don’t have to eat them all at once. Baby carrots and cut up veggies in baggies are perfect for a side at lunch or a snack while doing schoolwork. 

Munchies

Bring something crunchy or some finger food. You don’t need to cut out some crackers or chips to still have a balanced meal. Use snack size baggies to pack them. This way, you still get to splurge, but you don’t have to worry about eating the whole box. 

Dessert

Just like with the munchies, dessert isn’t a bad thing. Try to limit yourself to a smaller portion. Also, pick your favorites for dessert. This way, when you do splurge, you’re doing so with something you love eating. Another way to limit desserts, along with portion sizes, is to only pack it a few times a week.

Packing lunch is all about portion sizes and choosing healthy, yet yummy, options that will keep you going all day. Splurge on an adorable lunch box or even some cute lunch containers. These will help you get motivated and help guide you in the art of packing your lunch. 

Aislinn is a graduate Public Relations student at Hofstra University. When she isn’t in class, she is working with the Hofstra University Writing Center, doing PR for Her Campus, and working at the Hofstra University Center for Academic Excellence. Her interests range from Harry Potter and chilling on the beach to gender equality and writing pedagogy.