Boost Your Immune System for Colder Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

As the seasons change from warm to cold, the majority of us are leaning towards unhealthy comfort foods. I can’t say I don’t “taste” those decadent treats but the majority of the time, I stay true to what I believe works with my body, and that is eating whole, real foods.

Here are a few tips to help you stay on track this winter, and maybe even become healthier and happier!

Soups, soups and more soups!Nothing feels more comforting in this crazy cold weather than a cup or bowl of a hearty soup but some of these treats pack crazy fat & calories! So next time you grab that canned soup loaded with sodium and chemicals, why not try to make one on your own. I’m all about squash; butternut, spaghetti and acorn, these colorful veggies will boost your immune system and make you feel fuller longer. 

Steer clear of the soups loaded with cream, and try substituting with coconut milk or almond milk. Look for recipes on Pinterest or get your creative juices flowing and try to invent your own recipe! If you want something heartier: try making a homemade chili. Make sure you use lots of beans and fresh veggies!

Coconut OilI’m obsessed with coconut oil, and as the weather starts to get cold you need this in your apartment, house or dorm. Coconut oil has been proven to have healing properties. I use it as a mouth wash (oil pulling) for 10-20 minutes before I eat breakfast. Not only has it made my teeth noticeably whiter but has anti-fungal properties that kill bacterial in your mouth (bad breath, see ya!)

You can use it on your skin, too. I melt it in my hands and apply it to my body to keep my skin super smooth and even put it in your hair to tame fly a ways or use as a hair mask! Not only do I use it for personal hygiene but I add it in almost everything I cook. I throw some coconut oil in the pan for sautéing, I put it in my muffins and cookies when I bake and even in my breakfast oatmeal (I’m a tad bit obsessed.)

WaterHot or cold, throw some lemon in it for a big Vitamin C kick!

Water is essential to the human body. I drink water all day long whether its hot water with lemon (boosts digestive system) or cold water (thirst quenching and filling) it is sure to keep your skin clear and your body happy.

Gluten Free? Yes or no?I believe too much of anything isn’t good, but I can’t say I cut out gluten completely. When baking, I do opt for a healthier flour like Almond Flour or Quinoa flour, because I feel like gluten causes me some stomach pain, but I do still enjoy sprouted bread (I use Ezikel), because if I don’t eat enough carb saturated foods I get sleepy quicker. I always say steer clear of white flour, and sometimes even whole-wheat flour. Try using something else. You’d be surprised how little you can tell and how yummy and awesome for the body it is.  Try making a cauliflower pizza crust, you’d be surprised how tasty it is.

Watch out for sugar!I absolutely love sugar, I could eat it all day long, chocolate. Pumpkin flavored everything, Halloween candy, you name it…But the truth is sugar is as addictive as drugs. The body easily becomes addicted to sugar, and studies have proven it even feeds cancer in the body (yikes.) So this winter, try to avoid things with added sugar. I’m not saying you can’t have a day of sweets (or weekend) as we get into the holidays but watch out because sugar is bad news. See how you feel when you cut back on some sugar, and don’t substitute your sugar with artificial sweeteners either! Those things are nasty—and horrible for your body.

Those are some tips on how to boost your immune system and stay healthy during the holidays! Remember, always be alert and aware of what you’re putting in your body – you only have one!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.