Beat The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.
There’s a lot to be said for the word snow right about now. Some would say good things, and others, well I think a few profanities would be fitting. It can leave people feeling trapped in their house going almost crazy. Though watching it fall is relaxing, that gets old after about five minutes. Winter’s gray gloomy sky is here to stay for a new month’s bringing in a gloomy presence as well.

Sunny days are something we take for granted until they’re actually gone. Vitamin D, a key part of our body, is something we get from those bright days. But when it’s gloomy and dark, we don’t get blessed with that vitamin, thus bringing our levels down. But, don’t fear, you can go to your local store and buy vitamin D in the vitamin isle and keep your levels up!

So it’s cold out, and you can’t avoid it, so if you can’t beat em’ join em’. At least throw one snow ball, and try and remember back to when you were a little kid when you would have to be dragged back into the house because you were “going to catch pneumonia.” Yes, it does suck to be stuck in the house, but it is an excuse to release your inner kid for a few hours free of judgement.

Use this time to catch up on your work. The roads are nasty, or there’s black ice everywhere, so you know it’s best to stay in. Get ahead on your school work. I know it sounds boring but you’ll be thanking yourself in a few weeks when the work starts to pile up and you have many assignments due at the same time.

If it’s possible, call your friends over and have a movie night. This is always a good idea. Make some food, and maybe have a drink or two (if you are of age of course) and relax. Being around friends can help bring up your mood. Instead of sitting in your room alone, surround yourself with friends that way you won’t feel so alone.

The next few months can get dark, they can get gloomy, they can get messy, but like your life, it’s what you make of it. So have fun, be adventurous, and go build a snowman. 

Philadelphia raised, Bloomsburg bred. Looking for my own personal Claude Grioux all while pursuing a degree in telecommunications. But here I am writng, I've always loved to write. Just like smiling, smilings my favorite. 
Hi, guys! I'm JB and I am Campus Correspondent for Her Campus BloomU!