Is Fame Really Worth The Consequences?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

At some point I’m sure everyone has wanted to be famous. I definitely have; the lifestyle looks great with the all night partying, prestigious award ceremonies, gorgeous clothes and ridiculously good looking other halves, plus getting away with doing whatever the hell you want whilst being paid insane amounts. But so many of the celebrities we see splashed across the pages of our favourite magazines seem to be getting so caught up in their crazy and out of this world lifestyles, resulting in their excessive lifestyle not looking quite so glamorous after all.

With her innocent and clean image, Britney was the golden girl who every girl aspired to be. Remember the days when fancy dress parties were flocked with every young girl imitating the Britney school outfit?! Fluffy pink hair scrunchies and all. This image was slowly ruined over the years and Britney’s marriage to Kevin Federline, followed by the birth of her children, saw the start of Brit’s erratic behaviour. The paps caught various stories of her inability to strap her young son into a car seat, high chair or even holding on to him over holding on to her coffee, which saw her being questioned by the Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services. After her divorce her behaviour was unpredictable as we saw her lose it and shave her head in a desperate cry for help, and remember that infamous night we saw her escorted by paramedics out of the front door of her house? Craaazy. Fortunately poor old Brit had the help of rehab, a very familiar place for many celebs, and after this wild stint posted an online letter explaining how she was ‘so lost’. Let’s just hope she stays at the good place she seems to be at now!

‘The Amanda Show’ was hands down one of my favourite Nickelodeon shows. Who could not enjoy watching the ridiculous sketches of Hillbillies and a clumsy family that brought the young Amanda Bynes to fame. ‘She’s the Man’ was also one of my favourite chick flicks that was, and is, always a great watch for a lazy day. But what has happened to the gorgeous young girl who seemed to have the world at her feet? Twitter went crazy with Amanda when she began posting various slightly odd tweets. Her insistence on insulting singer Drake at any given opportunity, weird selfies and her ‘alter ego’ fake account in which she rambled on about the strangest things, began to hint that something was not quite right. Her unpredictable behaviour went from being kept online to her physical actions; with the weird blonde wig and setting fire to a driveway, Amanda was then sectioned to a psychiatric ward. Hopefully she’ll be out before Christmas. We can only hope that our favourite child star will get it right this time and get her life back on track.

Clichéd as it is, it really does seem like yesterday that Miley Cyrus was singing on Disney Channel as the young and naive Hannah Montana. With her long locks and angelic face, who would have thought that years later she would instead be known for wearing as little clothes as possible at any given moment and twerking on national TV? A seemingly normal way to behave? Or a cry for help? Her erratic behaviour began with a simple rebellious streak of chopping her brown locks off and dying her hair bottle blonde…something we all had deja vu with with the all too familiar breakdown of Britney. Yes, in her various interviews and articles we see her coming up with a story about how it’s great that she’s getting all this attention and it is entirely a publicity stunt in order TO get more attention, but how far does one take this? Surely touching herself with a foam finger in front of worldwide audiences, wearing a netting dress with her nipples hanging out or featuring stark naked on a wrecking ball is coming ever closer to being a bit cuckoo…

Plus there’s also the stuff that we don’t see and that stays hidden behind the scenes. Who knew that the squeaky clean Zac Efron was in fact not so clean after all after admitting a serious drug problem? And the tragic deaths of the likes of Corey Monteith and Amy Winehouse shocked the world after drugs problems, very sadly, took their toll.

The party and celebrity lifestyle that we so often see spread all over the media looks great and glamorous and obviously there are those who can handle it; however, it’s clearly not for everyone. Would we want every aspect of our life analysed and scrutinised? Even Miley admitted in a recent interview with Cosmopolitan that she wishes she could do what she does, just without the fame. Is it really all it’s cracked up to be?