Campus Celebrity: Laura Wordley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

Laura ‘lollie’ Wordley is a 3rd year sportex student, and like most 3rd years, is having the work piled on for her dissertation and final year of uni. But as if being in 3rd year isn’t chaotic enough, she still trains and competes for two cheerleading teams. Lollie joined the Birmingham Pussycats in her first year; she has been a keen gymnast since the age of 4 and thought that cheerleading held onto her gymnast roots whilst adding the exciting stunting element.

Lollie soon became a ‘flying star’ (excuse the pun) and in July 2012, joined the level 5 team: Coventry Dynamite. It was with this team that she travelled to Florida for what she describes as ‘one of the most amazing experiences of her life’ and competed in the cheerleading World Championships. She describes her most memorable moment as a cheerleader as ‘hitting the routine perfectly both days at the world championships with no mistakes or falls’ and loves the feeling of hitting a stunt perfectly, knowing there is nothing more the team can give.

For Lollie, cheerleading has become a way of life at uni, you will regularly find her practicing chants and routines in the kitchen, and she’ll never pass up the chance of doing a cheeky stunt in the toilets at Fab.  She currently trains 4 times a week and as if that’s not enough, attends a training camp weekend once a month. But all her hard work pays off as she is continuously successful, winning the university nationals with the Birmingham Pussycats and being chosen again to represent Coventry in the 2014 World Championships.

Unfortunately for Lollie this is her last year at uni, and when she moves back home there aren’t any local teams so she is unsure whether she will continue. Whatever she does, I wish her the best of luck and will definitely be looking out for her on the next Bring It On movie!