Trendy Ways To Decorate Your Room For The New School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Fall is here, and with the new season comes many new beginnings: new wardrobe, new weather, new school year, and for us collegiate students: new dorm rooms! Most dorm rooms look relatively the same: boring white walls and basic wood furniture. It’s what we do with our dorms that make them our own! Here are just a few ways you can spice up your less-than-gorgeous dorm for the new season and school year:

• Rugs. It’s amazing how much color a small rug on your floor will bring into your drab dorm. For a fun and girly look, try a shag rug. Pottery Barn Teen sells a variety of sizes and colors based on your own style. For a fun look, try a printed rug: polka dotted and floral prints never fail! For a simple but still colorful look, any solid colored rug will do. Area rugs come in so many different sizes, so it’s easy to find the right one for your floor
  • Halloween decor. Nothing says fall more than Halloween decorations. It’s easy to get carried away with corny spider webs and jack-o-lanterns, but there are more sophisticated ways to get that spicy, fall-y feeling in your room! Try decorating with a couple of pumpkins..they’re about three dollars from Wegmans and they bring so much warmth into a room.
  • Lights. Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, nothing is cuter or more classic than hanging Christmas lights in a college dorm room! These fun and bright lights add sparkle to your room. Turn them on when it gets dark outside! Target sells Halloween themed lights to get you into the fall spirit.
  • Pictures… everywhere. What better way to be reminded of your family and friends than to have pictures of them all around your room? I’m convinced that nothing makes a dorm room more personal than having loads of pictures on your wall. Target sells frames that have multiple slots for your fav pictures with your friends from home. Or, they have collaging frames where you can be artistic and fill them up with overlapping pics. I also love to buy cheap, plastic, but colorful individual frames that I can put around my room
  • Tapestries. Want an easy and beautiful way to fill up a lot of space on your wall? I adore tapestries. They add a boho-chic look to any girl’s dorm. They can be easily hung on any wall and add so much color and flare. Trippystore.com sells a wide variety, such as music tapestries, nature tapestries, and optical illusion tapestries.
Rachel is from northern New Jersey and is currently a junior at Binghamton University in New York. She is majoring in Psychology with a minor in Education. She has always been interested in fashion, and she loves to write. She was first a news writer and then the Arts and Entertainment editor for her award-winning high school newspaper, The Highland Fling. She now is a contributing news writer to BU's paper, Pipe Dream. She is thrilled to be a new member of the Her Campus team!
Binghamton Contributor