The Summer Internship Search: Making the Most of Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Time flies—we all know this, but often fail to proactively prepare ourselves for the future.

Almost half the semester is gone and summer is quickly approaching.  Spring break has finally arrived and while relaxation seems like the top priority, you may want to reconsider that.

For those of you seeking (or frantically panicking about) summer jobs, internships, or looking to network in the post-collegiette world, then you may want to consider maximizing the most of the two, very generous spring breaks Binghamton has offered their students (March 19-March 27; April 16-April 25).

Unlike other universities, we have the luxury of two weeks of  recess, but who’s complaining? Two weeks of a break means more time for scheduling interviews, following up with employers, and refining resumes. 

If you’re stuck on where to start, the Career Development Center has many opportunities to explore. The CDC and Binghamton Alumni Association are hosting “Metro Career Night 2011- Make the Most of Your Spring Recess” on March 24, 2011 from 6-9pm at Fashion Institute of Technology, where there will be a panel discussion followed by the opportunity to speak with an alumni one-on-one! From 6-7, the panelists will include:  Ken Brown ’86 (Editor,The Wall Street Journal, “Money and Investing” Section, Bachelor of Arts, Art), Tiffany Duncan ’00 (Human Resources, Executive Team Leader, Target, Bachelor of Science, Financial Economics),  Dan Orchant ’77 (Partner, KPMG, Bachelor of Arts, English and Rhetoric), Frank Vellucci ’94 (Partner, Chadbourne & Parke LLP, Bachelor of Arts, Economics/History),  James H. Wahlin ’97 (Senior Software Developer, Bloomberg L.P., Bachelor of Science, Computer Science-Information Science), and Moderator Bill McCarthy (Associate Director, Career Development Center). For more information and to reserve your free spot, visit Metro Career Night.

If internships and career advice aren’t of interest, then contemplate volunteer and shadowing options! Spring break provides a great chance to email, schedule and even personally inquire about available opportunities.  Volunteering allows you to network while “serving a cause greater than yourself”, and interacting with your peers. If you’re a Nursing or Pre-med major, consider shadowing or volunteering at your local hospitals; Education or teaching majors should try summer tutoring or even look into Teach for America. These are great ways to start networking and gain relevant experience.  Fiona O’Malley, a junior, English major plans on continuing her Kaplan LSAT practice test over spring break. “I’ve been working on improving my score and I’ll finally have a lot of time to take more tests during our break,” said O’Malley.

Lastly, remember that spring break isn’t  about agonizing over the future. It’s about  anticipating and being optimistic about your career. But between career planning,  exploring the CDC’s helpful resources and doing some personal research,  don’t forget to  take some time to relax!

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.