A Shy Girl’s Guide To Participating In Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

With the easiness of syllabus week behind us here at Binghamton University, I guess you can say that we’re “officially” back in the grind of things. Homework assignments are sending us to the library, coffee is becoming a staple in our diets again, and sleep deprivation is turning us into the zombie-like creatures we were before winter break started. We’re now expected to actually show up to class, take notes, and participate in class lectures and discussions. As someone who is naturally shy, it takes me a while to open up about my ideas in class, and for those of you that are the same way, here are my tips, tools, and tricks to mastering the art of class participation.

1. Pay Attention in Class- It seems easy, right? In fact, paying attention in class, especially when your class runs longer than an hour as most of our classes do, it’s easy to lose focus and interest in the subject at hand. However, if you pay attention in class, you’ll actually know what’s being discussed, you can develop an interest and your own view point in the discussion, and therefore be inclined to share your feelings. You won’t get there though if you’re more interested in Facebook than Biology. (Which you probably are but for the hour and 25 minutes forget about Facebook and focus at the topic on hand.)

Tip: Often times, students lose interest in class because their bodies aren’t fueled to keep them going. Keep an energy bar or a caffeinated drink on hand to help you power through class. With Jazzman’s, Einstein’s, the Marketplace, John Arthur, and multiple dining halls in sight it’s easy to stop for a quick pick me up to aid you when you need it.

2. Make Friends in Class- Personally, I have a much easier time speaking my mind in a class if I’m in class with a friend. Therefore, if I say something that doesn’t make sense in relation to class discussion, I can turn to my friend after either for moral support or to laugh about it with me. Also, if your friend says something in class it’s easier to raise your hand after and agree or disagree with them than it is a random stranger so that you know they won’t get offended. If you don’t have friends in your class, make small talk with the people you sit near before or after class.

Tip: Don’t let having a friend in your class distract you from class discussion otherwise this won’t help you in participating! Use your friends as a resource to discuss what is happening in class so this way if you have any ideas you’re unsure of bringing up during class, you can bring them up to a friend first and see what they say!

3. Don’t Be Afraid of What Others Think- I know this is so much easier said than done! I’m not a fan of the looks you get when you raise your hand and start to speak. Is it normal for people to stare at the person talking that intently? While it’s intimidating to see the entire class stare at you and wonder if they’re silently judging you, chances are they aren’t. You probably stare at the person talking in class too simply because the attention is now on them. Also, if by some chance you are saying something that would cause someone to judge you, just know that they’ll forget about a minute later anyways. Can you recall anything a student in your class has said? Probably not which means they don’t remember what you say and they can’t judge you if they don’t remember what you said!

Tip: If all of the staring makes you uncomfortable, just look at the teacher while you’re talking. The teacher is the one who cares the most about what you have to say and at the end of the day their opinion should be all that really matters.

4. Remember: Participation is Part of Your Grade- If anything should motivate you to participate, it should be that participation counts in your grade in most- if not all of your classes. Most professors aren’t taking off points for saying the wrong thing in class, they’re assigning points for raising your hand and simply contribution to the discussion. It’s one of the things you can’t really get points off of for being wrong so why lower such a significant part of your grade by doing something that isn’t necessarily wrong or right? Also, if you’re in a difficult class and struggling with assignments and exams, participation can be the factor of your grade at the end of the semester that either gives it that little boost or knocks it down.

Tip: Think long-term. Short-term it’s easy to just sit back and hear what everyone else has to say and rely on tests and assignments to raise your grade, however, if you think of the long-term and how participating will help your grade at the end of the semester, you’ll be motivated to raise your hand in class and contribute! 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!