This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a day that causes mixed emotions among men and women all over the world. While the happy couples kiss and give flowers and chocolate, us single folk can’t help but to yearn for what other people may have. I am not saying ALL single people feel this way all of the time , but we have to admit this day brings it out just a bit. I’m guilty of it, and it has not even happened yet. While this is so, I have discovered recently that I, or we (people as a collective), have to take a step back and realized what matters the most, self love. With Galentine’s Day being today, it feels appropriate to have this conversation.

SELF and LOVE. Two words that are so challenging to even look at side by side, yet so important when paired together. Us young people are so busy, making it that much harder to focus on ourselves. We are so caught up in everything that happens around us that we forget that we have to be taken care of ourselves, and sometimes we have to do that by ourselves.

I am here to tell you that it is OKAY to love yourself. In fact, it is more than okay.  It is okay to be alone, to take some time for yourself. It is okay to separate yourself from a toxic situation, or friendship, because you know it is what’s best for you. It is okay to be selfish sometimes! I know, crazy huh? Do what you want to do for a change and if someone hates on you for that maybe they are not the kind of person you need in your life. It is okay to make mistakes, to make them over and over again, because that is the way you learn. Learning leads to bettering yourself. It is okay, and it is incredibly important, to do things for yourself.  Go shopping, go to a movie or a Broadway show alone, do a facemask, take a walk, read a book, listen to music, take a nap. Please remember, your mental health has to come first. 

Another stop on the road to self love is surrounding yourself with people who will lift you up, rather than tear your down. Build a community for yourself where you know you will thrive and have people support you and your ambitions. A girl gang is so important! This may not sound like self love, but the people in your life are the ones who should be helping you on that path. They should also encourage you to be yourself, to be healthy and to love who you are. You are the best version of yourself out there, do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Lastly, be kind! It is that simple. Kindness goes so far, for yourself and others as well. While self love does not rely on other people, it definitely does not hurt to have positive forces in your corner.  I am so grateful for the people in my life that have pushed me in the right direction and who, above all else, have been kind to me. Whether in my personal life, university classes or in my professional world, I have tried to surround myself with people that support me and I hope I do the same for them. 

Now, whoever may be reading this, I am going to challenge you. Do something for yourself this week. Whatever it is you decide to do, do it on your own terms.

Take a deep breath, be kind, spread love. I see amazing things coming your way. xoxo

Molly Heller

Binghamton '20

Molly Abigail Heller is a Junior at Binghamton University planning to pursue a major in theater with a concentration in tech and marketing. Her biggest passions are musical theater, social media, writing and making people smile and her dream is to one day work somewhere that allows her to pursue all of those. You can usually find her hanging with her friends in and out of her sorority (Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi), listening to music, at the gym or obsessing over something Bachelor Nation related. "Passionately smashing every expectation".
Binghamton Contributor