Passion Vs. Practicality: Is a Business Major the Key to Career Success?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Your first year at college had been a huge success. You loved your dorm, you made a ton of diverse, new friends, and you earned a great G.P.A.  As you gear up for another great year away at school, it seems as though you have it all figured out.

Except you don’t.

Because on your university transcript in dark, unavoidable type, still reads the anxiety-inducing, “Undeclared”.  

Like many college students, you tend to answer the question “what do you want to do after graduation?” with a painfully long pause.  It’s true that you enjoy your liberal arts classes, but you are unsure if you could turn those interests into a steady career.  Faced with the daunting reality that you will be graduating into one of the worse job markets in American history, you wrack your brain for the practical course of action.  After much soul-searching, you settle on the most popular college major in the country, business management, also known as the fast track towards a full-time job and impressive salary.

But are the skills obtained through a business school education truly more marketable to employers than those obtained through a liberal arts program?

Nancy Paul, Director of Binghamton University’s Career Development Center, says no.

“Many students will say, ‘I have to transfer to the School of Management so that I can get a job’, but that’s simply not true.” Paul said, “Every time we speak to employers about what they are looking for in a potential hire, they say they want someone that can communicate and write well, with good intrapersonal skills. Are these skills tied to one major?  No. ”

Developing a strong, diverse set of skills allows a student to market himself to a wide array of companies and industries.  Focusing on major choice as the ultimate career decider, Paul explained, is a mistake many students fall into, “A lot of students choose a major and then think that their career will be a straight line.” Paul said, “But most careers are a journey. You will likely do a lot of twisting and turning.  But if you have a well-developed skill set, you can re-invent and repackage yourself over and over.”

Donna Rosenstein, a television casting director and 1976 graduate of Binghamton University, recently hosted  an event in partnership with Binghamton’s Career Development Center entitled “Choosing a major: How a liberal arts major paved a career in TV”.   As a Binghamton undergraduate, Rosenstein designed a communications major through the individualized major program.  She went on to become a senior vice president at ABC Television and currently owns her own company, Donna Rosenstein Casting, in Los Angeles, CA.  Rosenstein told students that taking initiative matters much more than your degree when it comes to achieving career goals.

“I’m a business owner, and I’ve never taken a business class.” Rosenstein said, “You need to ask yourself how you can be proactive, be it through an internship or a co-curricular, even if the academic program you want isn’t prepackaged for you.”

Rosentstein also advised students to work on building confidence and developing professional skills by participating in on-campus clubs and organizations.  Interpersonal and technological skills, Rosenstein noted, are two of the most beneficial skills to cultivate before hitting the pavement to look for a first job.

“For any entry level job, technology is one of the most valuable skills you can have, as the majority of your work will be done on a computer,” Rosenstein explained, “I also believe that people hire people they want to be around, so people skills are very important.”

Yet as college students come to terms with the country’s bleak unemployment rate, many are opting not to choose between business and liberal arts, as double majors have become a popular alternative for students hoping to gain a competitive edge. This option allows students to major in a job-focused business discipline while also enriching their writing and analytical skills through a liberal arts major.

Some, like Diane So, a Binghamton University senior double-majoring in Global Management and English,   are pursuing this path as a way to increase post-graduation job options.

“I’m ambitious and there are so many things that I want to do,” So said, “I didn’t want to be limited in my choice of careers because of my degree.”

Regardless of major choice, the best course of action in this ailing economy may simply be to stay optimistic and proactive.  Jobs are scarce and the pressure is high, but drive and determination go a long way when it comes to achieving career goals.

“You do whatever you can to get your foot in the door.” Rosenstein explained, “Don’t forget that getting someone coffee is a great start, and remember to give yourself a break because things can really change.” 

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.