The Lovely Ladies & Gents of Rhythm Method

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

The buzzer sounds and the crowd begins to cheer as both teams line up facing each other on the floor. We are waiting together court-side in our themed red white and blue t-shirts and blue jeans trying to contain our excitement, going through the usual motions before we are about to perform.

Someone leads us to the center of the court where a microphone is waiting, directly in front of a giant flag being held out by members of the kick line, cheerleaders, and none other than Baxter the Bearcat. As we got into our formation the announcer comes over the loud-speaker and says, “please stand for the National Anthem which will be sung by The Rhythm Method.” We all take a deep breath and sing.

Experiences like these are exactly what makes being in this a cappella group so special. I was lucky enough to join the group last semester and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far at college. Knowing that every one of our parts is crucial to the success of a performance, the members of Rhythm Method have worked together to form a tight bond that has turned into long lasting friendships.

As a staple in the a cappella community, for nearly two decades The Rhythm Method has continued to produce some of the best music Binghamton University has to offer. Started by a group of students back in 1993 who wanted to pay tribute to the songs they grew up with, the group sings to this day the best of the 1980s such as Jump by Van Halen or Cyndi Lauper’s Girls Just Want To Have Fun. 

Some of you may be wondering what is a cappella music? Those who haven’t seen NBC’s The Sing Off or been able to attend any performances on campus, a cappella may be a whole new genre of music you never even knew existed. A cappella is produced by a group of people who sing without any background music and instead use their voices to simulate the sounds of instruments. Therefore, what makes a cappella so interesting and challenging is that the only true instruments being used are people’s voices.

Beyond their stellar sound and obvious professionalism what is that really sets Rhythm Method apart? Stephanie Taibi, a freshman and one of the newest members of the group states, “It’s because we are a family. We are all friends both in and out of rehearsal and spend as much time together as possible.”

In addition to having multiple pot-luck dinners and other scheduled group bonding events during the semester Rhythm Method goes on a two-week tour singing at high schools and churches over the winter break. Having this close friendship adds to the mutual respect every member has for each other and for the musical director who runs the weekly rehearsals.

This semester’s musical director, Alexander Turo, a junior and veteran member of the group, comments on what it takes to achieve the quality of music everyone is so used to hearing from the group: “In a college a cappella setting we expect that people will know their stuff coming in. For Rhythm Method, refinement is key.”

Therefore, even newer members of the group are expected to learn not only from listening to other people who sing their vocal part but also from sheet music which is distributed to them at the beginning of the semester. By working hard on their own and also during the 8 hours a week of rigorous rehearsal Rhythm Method continues to produce an outstanding quality of music and choreography.

Their regimen may seem harsh, but the group knows first hand that hard work pays off. Melissa Taibi and Alex Concepcion, both seniors and two of the most experienced members of the group, recalled their favorite memory from their time with Rhythm Method: “Going to the ICCAs, hands down. It was a great bonding experience,” Alex said and Melissa added, “It was amazing, coming in second in our semi-finals made all of the work worth it.”

Attending the ICCAs, or the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, is an accomplishment in itself, but by coming in second in their semi-finals Rhythm Method secured their place as the 10th best a cappella group in the world.

Over the course of the semester, Rhythm Method performs at a variety of events on campus whether it be ones for charities, clubs, housing communities or singing the National Anthem at a basketball game they try to sing as much as possible. Other events include ones scheduled specifically for the a cappella community such as the parents weekend concert and the Dollar Show. The Dollar Show is a showcase of every a cappella group on campus and occurs every semester. Last weekend Rhythm Method and the nine other groups on campus performed their songs in front of three packed lecture halls promoting their sound and encouraging new music lovers to audition.

For me, being a part of the a cappella community and the Rhythm Method has been fulfilling in so many ways that I would encourage anyone who is interested in making great friends, serving the community, having fun, and most importantly immersing yourself in a new and unique musical experience to audition, you won’t regret it!

Come to Rhythm Method’s semester show on Saturday, May 14 to hear all of our new music and experience the fun for yourself! 

Raven Rivera is a senior at Binghamton University majoring in English and Rhetoric with a minor in Theatre. After living on Long Island all her life, she made the move to upstate NY and is enjoying the snowy weather. At Binghamton, Raven is the president and editor-in-chief of the newly SA-chartered publication, Her Campus Binghamton. In her spare time she enjoys watching entirely too much television, romantic comedies and Disney movies, and preparing for her American Idol auditions one day. She is currently an editorial intern for iaam.com and in the future, hopes to move to NYC and be a head writer/executive producer of an awesome television show on ABC, NBC, FOX, or Bravo (really, any will do).