How To Decorate for the Perfect Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

“Tis’ the season to be jolly fa lalalala lalalala.” The end of first semester can only mean one thing; it’s the holiday season. Whether you are celebrating Channukah, Christmas, or maybe even Chrismukkah, there is a holiday for everyone! There is so much joy and happiness during this time and people like to show that spirit through their decorations. Everyone has their own approach to how to decorate for their favorite celebration which adds to the uniqueness of the holiday season. Now it makes sense why  “it’s the most wonderful time of the year!”

1. The Timeless Christmas Tree: Decorating a Christmas tree is a must during the holiday season. It’s such a great way to bring family and friends together. There are so many components to the decorations of a tree; there are the lights, the ornaments, and a nice big star on top. However, it’s the personal touches that are added which make the tree distinct and special. Some people are all about the tree in Rockefeller Center, not me! A personal fave of mine is the Victoria’s Secret Christmas Tree. It’s pink, sparkly, and has Victoria’s Secret goodies dangling from its festive branches. Who wouldn’t want to get presents under a tree like that?

2. The Traditional, but Always-Dependable Menorah: For those who celebrate the wonderful holiday that lasts for eight days, aka Channukah, think of gifts, latkes, and dreidels. However probably the most important and iconic décor and tradition from this holiday is the Menorah. Who needs a Christmas tree when you have a bright nine- candle ancient lampstand? The menorah should not be underestimated by its size; it symbolizes great tradition and significance. As we continue to move towards a more technologically dependent world, more people use electrical menorahs. However, whether you are more stuck on tradition or are technologically savvy, there is a menorah out there for everyone waiting to be lit for eight glorious nights! 

3. No Standards, No Rules New Years Eve Décor: Now this is a trickier holiday to decorate because there are no criteria. There are no typical standardized decorations when celebrating. However there are a few things to keep in mind if you plan on having a raging New Years Eve party. For color scheme, think black, gold, and silver. Those colors keep the mood elegant and doesn’t take away from the setting and people around you. There are so many high expectations when it comes to this holiday so its better to focus on simplicity rather than extravagance. If you want to start the New Year off with a bang, keep it classy ladies!

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor