Fall 2014 Guide To Exciting New Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

As the school year really starts to pick up there are so many things to keep up with like schoolwork, meetings, and most importantly TV shows. Every fall an influx of new shows come to our TV screens. They bring in new sitcoms, dramas, and thrillers for us to get hooked on. Here are some of the new Fall 2014 shows we are really excited about.

– “A to Z”: I don’t know about you, but I was very upset when “How I Met Your Mother” ended last year. We had just met the long awaited mother and then all of a sudden she was killed off (spoiler alert). Although “A to Z” is totally unrelated to the cult sitcom, it features the actress who plays the mother in the last season. I think the best way to describe this show is that it combines elements from the aforementioned “HIMYM” and “500 Days of Summer.” If you like rom-coms, this show will definitely be right up your alley!

– “Red Band Society”: I know, I know, we are all over the whole hospital centered drama shows. Between “Grey’s Anatomy” and “House,” it seems that TV has covered everything that could possibly occur in a hospital. However, I’m here to tell you that, that’s not the case! “Red Band Society” is different from anything you’ve ever seen before. In similar themed shows they focus on the doctors that work in the hospital and the drama that encompasses their lives. In this show, the premise is centered on the patients of the hospital, namely the sick teens. I’m particularly excited for this because it isn’t written for just one demographic. Children, teens, adults can all enjoy this show together. Caution, this show may make you shed a tear or two.

– “Gotham”: I’m not quite sure what I’m more excited about with this show; is it because I am always a sucker for prequels of familiar stories I’ve grown up with or is it because Benjamin McKenzie is returning to TV? (“The O.C” obvs will forever be my favorite TV show with him!) Either way, “Gotham” will be showing how all the heroes and villains of the classic Batman universe comic came to be their iconic characters. It’ll be different from other Batman remakes because we won’t be watching the show from Batman’s view we will be seeing everything through the eyes of Detective Gordon.

– “Selfie”: To be honest, when I first heard the title of this show, I thought it was a joke. Then I proceeded to sing The Chainsmokers, “SELFIE.” However, after reading reviews, it doesn’t sound half bad. It’s about a self-absorbed social media addict who asks her co-worker to rebrand her after she realizes she has no friends in real life. I find this concept very current and relatable to this day and age where we are hooked to social media. I think viewers will be able to identify with the characters in this show more than anything because they are poking fun at today’s society.

– “How To Get Away With Murder”: Lastly, one of the most highly anticipated shows for Fall 2014 is the show, “How To Get Away With Murder.” This drama follows a law professor whose students get entangled in a murder. This show incorporates all elements of what makes for a great show; it has drama, suspense, romance, and much more! The series as well as creator, Shonda Rhimes have big shoes to fill due to the success of her past hits, “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal.” Can’t wait to see what all the hype is about!

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor