samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Ways To Make Money Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Being home for the holidays and away from the high wind chills up in snowy Binghamton has to be one of the best feelings during the winter season. Binghamton is one of the only universities to have an excessively long winter break. There are definitely perks to that, like not having to do school work for more than a month. However, there are definitely drawbacks, like having way too much free time and no money to spend on things to do to fill that free time. Break is a perfect time to make money to use either during the vacation or to save for next semester. Here are some easy ways to earn some fast cash!

– Babysitting: There is no better way to make easy money over winter break then by babysitting! There are so many days and nights during break that you can devote to watching your neighbor’s kids for a few hours. Although there are horror-babysitting stories out there, it’s usually quite simple, and in this day and age parents pay a lot to have their children watched for a night!

– Pet Sitting/House Sitting: If you are stuck home all break, might as well make some easy cash. Many families go away during the holiday time and need someone to watch their house, especially if they have a pet. Pets are like humans; they need to be taken care. Taking care of a pet is such a simple task that doesn’t require much time or energy. 

– Returning to Previous Jobs: Although winter break isn’t a long enough for a college student to have a new job, it’s still long enough to return back to any previous jobs. The holiday season tends to be more hectic in stores and restaurants, and usually is understaffed during this time due to personal vacations. Winter break is a perfect time to go back to your summer or high school job and get paid a few bucks.

Selling Old Junk on the Internet: Honestly, what are college students really doing during their winter break after the holiday season is over? They are probably sitting on their couches all day and watching television or surfing Buzzfeed. But then there are some of us who are nagged by our parents everyday to clean our room and get rid of our childhood toys and clothes. To ease our boredom, our parent’s constant badgering, and make money on top of that, selling old belongings on the Internet is a perfect way to accomplish that. We are part of this technological era and we should take full advantage of that. People do say that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!

– Shoveling Snow: If you are in desperate need of some fast cash, shoveling snow is the way to go. Although this probably requires the most physical work and endurance on this list, it’s worth it in the end. To make the job go faster have a friend join in and you can get make more business because you have twice the stamina!

Melissa is a sophomore at Binghamton University. She is from Scarsdale, NY. She getting a dual degree in English Rhetoric and Human Development. She loves fashion, writing, and social media. Since joining the Her Campus she has interned at two magazines, CollegeFashionista.com and Paper Magazine in NYC. She currently is the Vice President of the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. She is looking forward to making the next step in her HC journey from Staff Writer to Campus Correspondent.
Binghamton Contributor