The Do’s and Don’ts of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

The study abroad lifestyle offers you tons of perks—you are able to met new people, to live in a brand new place, and, of course, you have the ability to travel the world. While your friends back at SUNY B are battling snowstorms and eating fried ravolis at CIW dining hall, you can be laying on beaches in Spain or eating real pasta in Italy. Travelling is exciting, fun and interesting, but it can also be exhausting and stressful. SO, here are some tips to help you enjoy all of your adventures!

Before you leave:

Choose your travel buddies wisley
At some point on your trip, you will most likely be lost in a foreign city and running on an inadequate amount of sleep, so make sure you travel with friends who won’t make the situation worse! Make sure you all have the same priorities. If you want to see all the sights and get to bed early, make sure your travel buddy doesn’t want to party all night and chill all day.

Check the weather
Don’t believe everything that weather.com tells you, but definitely use it as a guide to pack.

Pack LIGHT
Accept ahead of time that you’ll be wearing the same clothes over and over on your trip. Pack pieces that you can mix and match so you don’t look exactly the same in every picture. Also, pack versatile pajamas because you will never be able to predict the temperature in your hostel!

Create a list of sayings
If you are travelling to a country that does not speak English, make a list of important phrases. Don’t waste money on phrase books that make you look like silly tourist, just pick 10(Ish) phrases that will be necessary on your travels. For example, “hello” “thank you” and “where is…”

Trace future steps
Make sure you know how to get from the airport/train station to your hostel so you are not scrambling. Also, make a top ten list of things you want to accomplish on vacation and research them before you go.

Invest in a good side bag
For day-to-day adventures, all you’ll need should fit into a small side bag. Bigger, bulkier bags are harder to manage and easier to steal from. I suggest a bag with a zipper for extra protection.

While you are there:

Trust your instincts
Obvious fact- not everyone is nice. Plus, not everyone likes Americans. So just be careful, keep your guard up, and stay with your group. If you feel uncomfortable at any point, say something, don’t keep it to yourself because your feelings are always valid.

Don’t be afraid to have “chill time”
Yes. There are a lot of things to see and do in a new city, but don’t exhaust yourself. If you need a break, take one! Get a coffee! Sit on a bench! People watch! People watching is just as important as sight seeing when you are learning about a new culture. PLUS, make sure to stay hydrated all day!

Know your budget, but don’t stress about each penny
Everyone knows students are poor. There are definitely ways to stay within a budget like buying from grocery stores to avoid eating all your meals out or staying in a hostel instead of a hotel. Take advantage of these options, but do not allow your budget to ruin your day. You are on a once in a lifetime vacation so soak it up! Don’t worry about every single cent because you’ll go crazy that way and you’ll miss out on opportunities.

Document everything
This one is simple- don’t forget your camera! If you aren’t a big photographer, find another way to document your trip like buying souvenirs or writing in a journal!

No regrets
Whatever happens, enjoy it. Even the crazy, frustrating and tiring moments will be a part of the memories you make. It is all an experience and everything that happens will be laughable at some point in your life.

Don’t be shy
If your lost, ask someone to help! And make sure to use the people who work at your hotel/hostel. Those are the people with the most knowledge of the area and they are paid to help you navigate it all!

MOST IMPORTANT! Try new things
Simple concept, but really important. This is once in a lifetime adventure and you are doing it in your college years which makes it even more fun. Try new foods, meet new people, or go skydiving! Just make the most of your trips.

If you follow these tips, you will have fun. Don’t let stress or exhaustion ruin your mood! Have fun and be safe!

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.