Suffragette, the Women’s Vote Today and How it Relates to Berry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Berry chapter.

Suffragette, written by Abi Morgan and directed by Sarah Gavron, tells the story of the 20th century feminist movement in London. The film follows early members of the Women’s Social and Political Movement and their secret meetings that led to civil disobedience, imprisonment and hunger strikes. Actresses we know and love like Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan, and Helena Bonham Carter star in the film that only played in select theatres across the nation.

Women in Britain did not fully gain the right to vote that was equal to men until 1928. In the United States, women gained the right to vote in 1920 with the passing of the 19th Amendment. The fight for African American women was not over, however, due to barriers at the local and state level that prevented all African Americans  from exercising their voting rights. It wasn’t until President Johnson signed The Voting Rights Act into action in 1965 did voter turnout among African Americans begin to increase.

Today, American women have the potential to be the deciding vote in presidential elections. Women aged 18-64 had a higher voter turnout compared to men in the 2012 election. Also, more women voted for President Obama in the 2012 election compared to men. POPSUGAR surveyed 1,000 women and found issues women cared about don’t necessarily represent women. One of the top three issues of concern was cost of education.

Berry College founder Martha Berry understood the need for education available to those economically unable to afford it when she founded the Martha Berry School for Girls in 1909, seven years after The Boys Industrial School was created. Although Martha Berry was concerned about education, she would still not be able to vote for 18 more years after her first school was created.

image © 2015 Focus Features

Although a variety of issues still face women today, Suffragette also introduced through a website featuring ways to get involved in gender equality initiatives across the world. Through the website, organizations, such as the American Association of University Women, that advocate equality for women and girls in education are featured. If you’re interested in finding out more about what can be done to increase gender equality, visit www.fightsnotover.com.

Maggie Stansell is a campus correspondent for the Berry College branch of HerCampus. She is a junior at Berry College majoring in Communications with a focus in public relations. Maggie enjoys spending time with her dog, Finn, who is more like her child. She also enjoys watching so much “X-Files” that she now believes there is a good possibility of life elsewhere. Maggie would love nothing more in her life than to work as a concierge in a hotel, as long as it has the color scheme of a Wes Anderson film.