Your Guide to a Night Out: What All Collegiettes Should Know about Alcohol Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Only in college is Thursday night the start to the weekend. The stress of the week comes to a grinding halt after your last class on Thursday afternoon, your other responsibilities have died down, and you’re ready to blow off some steam. While I encourage you to go out and try something different (a new bar, hang out with a friend you met in class that week, concoct that yummy drink you found on Her Campus Bentley’s Facebook page), it’s still important to know your limits, and party smartly (if you’re of age, 21+).

Here are seven things every collegiette™ should know before heading out on the town (again, if you are of age!):

1.    Always have ten dollars with you

It’s always tempting to spend that last ten dollars at the bar. After all, that last vodka cranberry is essential, right? Resist the urge; it’s important to keep at least ten dollars somewhere in your clutch for emergency situations. If you get stranded somewhere off campus, you should make sure you have enough money to get home on your own.

2.    Always have a taxi number saved into your phone

If you’re going off campus, it’s important to always have a back-up plan in terms of getting back to campus at the end of the night. Make sure to keep the number of a local taxi company in your phone in case you and your friends need to call. Here’s a tip: find the number of a taxi that you can take from school, but also the number of a taxi that you can take home, which may differ depending on where you’re going.

3.    Always watch your drink

You’ve probably heard this time and time again, but it’s much easier said than done. At parties, stick to drinks that you prepared yourself or watched someone make. Make sure that you take your drink wherever you go, and make a conscious effort to keep an eye on it all night.

4.    Avoid new types of alcohol

Especially in the beginning of the school year, stick to alcohol you’re familiar with. Don’t get tripped up by downing shots of tequila before you go out if you’re never had tequila before (the effects could be brutal). Don’t have a power hour with rum if you usually stick to beer (another possible disaster). It’s better to stay with what you know. Know your limits and what you’re used to, especially for the first few weeks of school.

5.   
Don’t drink the jungle juice

This one should be a no-brainer, ladies. No one knows what really went into the large tub in the living room of a party: Everclear, vodka, beer, Kool-Aid, and whatever else the hosts could find in their fridge. The large amounts of alcohol are usually disguised by the fruity taste, so even if no illegal drugs have been added, consuming that much alcohol in a short period of time can lead you to be unaware of your surroundings. If you do choose to drink the juice, beware of the bottom of the barrel! Lots of times the bulk of the alcohol sinks to the bottom and your second cup may contain much more alcohol than the cup you filled an hour ago!

6.    Don’t walk home alone from the bar

This one is for guys, too. Do not walk home alone at night, ever. This leaves you incredibly vulnerable, as well as a prime target for an attack. We all know Skellig at 1:00 a.m. can be hectic with people hailing cabs, but try to avoid a drunken walk back to campus. Make sure that if you do decide to walk home from a bar or a house near campus, you’re walking home with a group of people you know well. An even better idea? Call a cab.

7.    Don’t go out on an empty stomach

Alcohol is absorbed much quicker if your stomach is empty. In order to make sure you know how much you’re drinking and are aware of how you’re feeling, fuel up with food before you go out. High protein foods such as cheeses and nuts help to slow the absorption of alcohol, keeping you more on track (hello, cute hors d’oeuvre party!). In case I didn’t win you over with the easy appetizers you can make, eating before you drink also helps to prevent hangovers – it’s a win/win!

Do you have any more tips for a safe night out? I’d love to hear about them. Leave a comment below!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.