This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Our generation grew up in the 90s surrounded by Disney princesses in all of their royal wonder. We gasped over their lovely gowns and dressed up as them for Halloween. We argued over who our favorite prince was, and imagined our own Prince Charmings coming for us in the far off future.  We dreamed of exploring new worlds with Ariel, riding in carriages with Cinderella, and fighting Huns with Mulan. But what made these characters princesses? Their tiara? Their perfect hair or tiny waists? Their ball gowns? Or something more?

These movies and characters have always been criticized for their heteronormative ways. It’s been said they force girls into believing stereotypes about beauty, body image, men, and self-worth. But I write today in defense of my childhood heroines, and say that there’s so much more to them than what meets the eye.

When I was little (and heck, even now as a junior in college), I loved Belle above all the others. Yes, she had an awesome dress, but more importantly, she loved to read like I did. She didn’t have perfect, blonde hair but brown instead. She wasn’t saved by her prince, but rather saved him.

In recognizing the looked-over traits of our favorite princesses, Disney has a series of videos you can find on YouTube called “I am a Princess.”

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFs-c0BqHq0

When we look closer at the princesses we love, we see these traits play out in their films. These girls aren’t just your average damsels in distress! Belle is smart, yearns for adventure, and doesn’t go weak at the knees for the most handsome guy in town. Pocahontas taught us to appreciate nature and be accepting of people different from us. Mulan is a warrior, through and through—brave and strong. Ariel takes matters into her own hands to shape the life she wants for herself. The most recent additions to the family, Tiana, Rapunzel, and Merida, are even more modern and empowered.

These are the values and ideas to take away from the stories we grew up with, and the ones I hope to pass on someday. We are all princesses, and long may we reign!

Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).
Bentley University