This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Most recently, our work and home lives have collided in ways that have come to our surprise. People of all business backgrounds have learned to navigate their schedules around working from an office and working from home. Not only this, but the altering day-to-day changes have also shifted our perspectives on productivity and happiness. In an increasingly competitive workforce, women especially, have struggled with adapting to such life changes. 

According to an article written by Entrepreneur Events “As it turns out, there are 1.8 million fewer women in the workforce now than prior to the pandemic.” The fact that this number is in the millions, gives reason to the gender gap in today’s society. Gender-diverse businesses have taken down these differences in outperforming financially among the industry median. Women have shown to enhance the work environment through advanced knowledge, increasing profits, and growing the economy to add immense value in business. In 2019 alone, there were 1817 new women-owned businesses created every day in the U.S (Powell, 2021).  

We can all borrow some lead takeaways from successful women in business who have outcasted the negative stereotypes over the last 40 years in the making. One woman that stands out in particular is Mercedes Abramo. Abramo stands as an honorable female figure, in the position as the first woman to take over as president and CEO of Cartier North America. BIG DEAL in making strides as a woman! As a successful woman in business, she has set out to change the culture of design in our modern era. Abramo further commented on Cartier’s program, The Cartier Women’s Initiative, as it “supports and empowers female entrepreneurs,” (Naas, 2021). Setting up these programs allows companies like Cartier to build up this foundation for young women starting their career. 

So the next time you feel an inch of doubt for your role as a woman, remember that your success will inspire others. To all the women who are willing to set themselves apart in a male-dominated industry; you are the reason someone is also willing to take the chance. 

Hi my name is Dariana! I am a Senior at Bentley this year with a major in Economics-Finance and a minor in IDCC. I am a member of the swim team here at Bentley, and a member of SAAC on campus. This year I am interested in building on my experience with writing and building a close circle of girls that share the same belief in empowering women! I love to write about anything under the sun that pertains to life advice. In my free time I love to travel, and since I am a BIG foodie, I love trying new foods anywhere I visit.