Wellness Wednesday: Why Your New Year’s Resolution Didn’t Work Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Although the world did not come to an end this twenty-thirteen, your new year’s resolution surely did. It’s time to re-evaluate how you want the rest of this year to play out before you make another empty promise to yourself the next time that ball drops. We are all aware of the inundation of weight loss hopefuls that flood the gym at the turn of the new year, but many people make other, less physically demanding promises to themselves that simply don’t seem to last longer than a week or two. Here are some good tips on how to make those goals you outspokenly preached about to your friends and family an actual reality and hopefully, a lifestyle change.

Set Realistic Goals for Yourself

In order to be pleased with yourself and the results that you are trying to achieve, you need to set positive, realistic goals. Don’t set goals because they sound good or because it follows a particular trend at the time. Look at your life and the direction you want it to take – set goals that you realistically can achieve, but more important – pick goals you want to achieve.

Improvement Takes Time

No, this is not The Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels is not your personal trainer and despite what the Weight Watchers commercials will tell you, losing 15 pounds in a week is not healthy or logically attainable. That may be the reason you chose not to make that dreaded trip to the gym and called it quits after not seeing results. Whether you want those grades up, plan to tone your body in all the right places, or just want to be a healthier individual -improvement takes time. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Be Specific

A resolution is essentially a chance to find a new purpose for you; however, setting too many future goals can be more overwhelming than trying to stick to one well-thought out objective. Aiming to accomplish too many things at once is frequently a recipe for failure.  Make a condensed list of things you truly want to improve on this year – in this case, less is more.

These simple reminders can truly get you to where you want to be… or where you wanted to be but have seemingly let your goals slip through the cracks during these past two months. New Year’s resolutions are great, but living a mentally and physically healthy lifestyle is even better. Make small changes to your life today can impact your future in a big way. Don’t be afraid to out and get started. But for real this time!

Picture Sources:

1 2

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.