Ways to Represent Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Missed the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk?

Don’t worry girls, there are other ways you can represent the pink proudly! The month of October is all about showing our pride for those who have battled breast cancer.

My personal favorite way to acknowledge this special month is by doing something I wouldn’t dare do the other eleven months of the year- get a pink hair extension! Pink Hair for Hope, supplies local salons with pink extensions to don for the month of October. The closest salon to Bentley is the Classic Looks Salon on Main Street in Waltham. They are also hosting a fundraiser from October 17th to the 23rd where 10% of all profits on their services will go towards breast cancer awareness.

Too conservative to rock the pink hair? Some of us admittedly are; but shopping in honor of breast cancer is never a bad idea.

Why not support a great cause while doing one of your favorite activities along the way? Lilly Pulitzer is selling a Full of Hope Charm Bracelet, and also a butterfly kisses murfee scarf.

Want to send a gift to your favorite survivor? Red Envelope is donating 10% of their proceeds from an assortment of bouquets, wreaths and even pink chocolate strawberries to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.   

Other ways to support the fight against breast cancer during the month of October:

• Choose to eat healthy and donate with Yoplait Yogurt. Through their Save Lids Save Lives campaign, all lids redeemed before December 31st benefit breast cancer outreach programs
  • Even the NFL gets involved in the breast cancer fight! Crucial Catch, is focused on the importance of annual screening. Players, coaches, and referees wear assorted pink game day apparel in order to raise awareness for the campaign. Pink NFL coins and balls are auctioned off online with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society.

There are plenty of opportunities still available out there. So let’s get out there and paint the town pink!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.