Tips on How to Read More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Now that many students are home until next semester, I wanted to expand on my book recommendations article with tips on how to read more! This year I have read more than I ever have before, so here are some of the tips I used to get me consistently reading!

Read in the morning and before bed

These are great alternatives to going on your phone and checking social media. In the morning, it makes you more productive and does not prime your brain for distraction, unlike engaging in screen time. At night, it is a great way to get your eyes and brain ready for the night.

Pick a book that you look forward to reading

This seems very obvious, but choose a book that you are excited to read, whether it be a nonfiction book on a topic you are interested in, or a thriller that hooks you into not wanting to put the book down!

Alternate between genres

Another tip that I use to read more, is to alternate between genres. This keeps my reading list diverse and keeps me on my toes. If you only stick to one genre, it is easy to be able to predict what may happen at the end of the book. Keep things interesting by alternating between fiction and nonfiction, or different subgenres! 

Use Goodreads

This is an app that I discovered at the beginning of my reading journey. Not only does it keep track of books you read, but also recommends books similar to ones you rated highly. You can connect with friends to keep up with what they are currently reading and put books on your “Want to read” list. Highly recommend it to people who are looking for tips on how to read more!

Set a goal

On Goodreads, it allows you to set yearly goals on the number of books you want to read. After each book you complete, Goodreads tells you whether you are behind on, on track, or ahead of your yearly goal. This is a great motivator for readers who are very goal-oriented!

Get books from the library

If the price of books is a hindrance to you reading more, this is a great option for you!  Not only is a library card free, but it is great to pace your reading since you can only check out books for a set period of time. Another option to this is to look into your local library’s apps that you can download free ebooks! I use OverDrive for this and it gives me access to hundreds of free books! 

Listen to audiobooks

If free time is your issue to read more, then this tip is for you! Audiobooks are a great alternative to music. You can download them and listen to them anywhere—while commuting, doing chores, or even just taking a walk.  Audiobooks are great for people who want to get more reading in but do not have as much free time to sit down and read a book in the traditional manner.

Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!