This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Winter can bring a lot of dryness and breakage for your hair. Here are some tips to keep your hair happy and healthy this winter!

Satin pillowcases are your best friend

One of the best things I ever did for my hair was switching from cotton pillowcases to satin pillowcases! Satin pillowcases are so smooth that they limit hair breakage when you sleep. This is essential if you roll around in your sleep like me. This keeps your hair from thinning over time, keeping your hair full and healthy.

Let your hair down (literally)

Another way to limit hair breakage is by leaving your hair down. Putting your hair up in fun hairstyles can be a great way to amp up your look, but pulling your hair back all the time can lead to more hair breakage and even receding hairlines. Trust me, I used to do dance and had to pull my hair into a bun several times a week – my hairline hates me for it now. Do your hair a favor and let your hair down sometimes – your hair will thank you for it later.

Don’t overwash your hair

Another way to keep your hair healthy is by taking breaks between washes. Our scalps naturally produce oils – that’s why our hair gets oily between washes. However, these oils actually keep our hair healthy. If we wash our hair too frequently, we’re actually stripping our hair of its natural oils and drying it out. Thus, try to space out your washes at least to every other day and opt for dry shampoo or a hat on your off-days!

Take a break from the heat products

Finally, an obvious way to avoid drying out your hair is to avoid heat products. This includes things like hair straighteners, curlers, and dryers. All of these put extra heat on our hair which lead to breakage, split ends, and overall weak and damaged hair. Thus, winter break is the perfect time to embrace your natural hair and let it air dry and take its natural form!

How are you gonna “let your hair down” this break?

Hi everyone! My name is Banmai Huynh and I am from Chelmsford, MA. I'm a Corporate Finance and Accounting major at Bentley University in Waltham, MA and I’m the President of our Her Campus Chapter. I joined Her Campus because I think it's a great creative outlet for college students. I like writing about my personal experiences, opinions, and recommendations! Thanks for reading!