I watched a million tiktoks before coming to college about things I will “100% NEED” in my dorm room. Coming from New York, I was so worried that I would forget something 200 miles away that I desperately needed. Because of this irrational fear, I got so much random stuff. I didn’t know how I would manage to fit it into my tiny forced triple, let alone my car. But let me tell you… there is so much that I got that I don’t actually need. However, there are definitely things that I am so happy I got. Here’s my honest review of stuff in my dorm room that I simply cannot live without.
- I got a BIG ottoman that my mom told me is a waste of space, however, I could not disagree less. Not only do I use it to get onto my bed, but I use it as a seat when people come over AND it stores SO MUCH STUFF. Inside, I have all of my bags and purses (there are a lot), my shoes (there are also a lot), and then extra miscellaneous items. It is the most amazing item, and if you have space, I 100% recommend it.
FOLDABLE HAIR DRYER
- I refuse to go outside with wet hair for many reasons. Especially being in the north east, ITS COLD. I really don’t wanna get sick. I see many people who do it, but I simply could never, and letting my hair air dry would take way too long. My hair dryer is literally a lifesaver. Whenever I wash my hair, I just blow dry it (it takes like 10 minutes) and boom, I can live peacefully again with my dry hair. But doesn’t the hair dryer take up too much space? Nope! It’s foldable! This is one of my favorite purchases.
TWO SHOWER CADDIES
- This is just logical. One shower caddy for my shower stuff, another caddy for my bathroom hygiene stuff. No need for the two to mix. I don’t want to lug my entire shower caddy when I’m trying to brush my teeth. This is just convenient.
- I got one LED light up cherry from 5 below and it was so cute. I had to go back and buy two more and now my room looks like fairy heaven. It makes the rest of my decor look so cute and homey. Plus, it’s almost always dark in my room (the main lights are never on) so these lights keep me sane.
LIGHT UP DESK MIRROR
- When my roommates are asleep, I don’t want to turn the light on and wake them up, this makes my life so much easier. The light isn’t bright enough to wake them, but it’s bright enough for me to see what I’m doing
- I have used so many batteries that I’ve lost count. I need them for everything. It is an absolute necessity.
MY ENTIRE Wardrobe
- I brought almost my entire closet with me, and I could not be happier about that. Whenever I need an outfit, I most likely have the materials to make it happen. Also, I don’t repeat my clothes for a while, so I need to do laundry WAY LESS. #SAVINGMONEY
- I have a total of ONE outlet for myself and it is 100 feet underneath my bed. Absolute torture. This power strip not only helps me extend the outlet, but gives me more places to plug my million wires in.
- I got soap from bath and bodyworks and I refuse to go to the bathroom without it. The soap dispensers in slade (first floor) NEVER WORK and I look stupid trying to smack the dispenser to get some soap. Now, I have NICE soap, however much I want, and it smells good. I love it.
SWIFFER + CLEANING WIPES
- People are dirty. Sickness is everywhere. Need I say more?
- This backpack stores so much stuff and has a safe space for my computer. There are so many pockets of many different sizes and I can probably fit myself into this bag. It’s so convenient for college AND for going back home :)
- I got the cutest mushroom tea mug from homegoods and it makes me so happy for some reason. I love tea and I love this mug so it makes drinking tea my favorite part of my day. If you’re a chronic tea drinker, I suggest bringing your own cute mug.
- Sometimes, you just need a midnight snack, a study snack, SIMPLY A SNACK while you’re in your dorm. You might not want to walk all the way to the dining hall for some food, I know I don’t. I just grab my comfort snacks that I brought with me and yum yum yum!
ALL OF MY PENS
- If you’re anything like me, an artsy organization freak, you definitely need to bring a million pens. Whenever I have to take pen and paper notes, or do anything by hand, I get to spice it up and make it colorful! This not only makes me happy, but it adds some pizzazz to my work!
- Self explanatory…
- I took almost all of my tote bags with me, and whenever I need to run out of the room quickly, I just grab one. It’s fast, convenient, and cute :)
- I constantly smell like dorm room, so this makes it just a little more bearable there.
- Bima is a stuffed animal dog that has been with me since I was like 2 years old. He is an essential part of my survival at this point, so he had to be here during this milestone of my life.
Of course everyone is different, but if you had to take my advice on anything, it would be that these things are pretty much essential in college. If you’re stressing about what to bring, these are for sure your must haves!