13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios
Style > Fashion

The Power of a Good Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Growing up, my parents always teased me for trying on so many clothes before hopping on the school bus. My room would always look like a tornado hit it if I was picking out my outfit for the day – all my dresser drawers open, clothes covering the floor to the point where you couldn’t even see the hardwood below it – it truly was a scary sight to see. But to me, even as a little kid in elementary school, this was all worth it. Even as a little kid, I knew the power of a good outfit.

Even if I’m terribly stressed out, or I just got a horrible test grade back, or I bombed an interview – the power of a good outfit helps you look good while doing it! It sounds so silly, but confidence can go a long way. Feeling good in what you’re wearing can help you walk into any situation with your head held high – even if you’re faking it ‘til you make it.

For example, I remember feeling so unprepared for my accounting final last semester. I couldn’t sleep the whole night before because I was so stressed, and I was ready to walk into that exam period the next morning and just fail that test. However, I woke up a few minutes early that day and put on an outfit I felt really confident in: brown flare pants that I always get complimented on when I wear them, a new turtleneck that my roommate gave me, all paired with my favorite Reebok sneakers. Feeling great in my outfit helped me gain some confidence back and walk into that exam period with a bit more faith in myself. I ended up with a B in that class, and I’d like to think that my outfit had something to do with it.

So the next time you’re down in the dumps and you just wanna hide in your room in your PJs, try putting on your favorite outfit and thriving off of the confidence you get from that. You are beautiful inside and out – use your closet to enhance that when you’re doubting yourself!

Hi everyone! My name is Banmai Huynh and I am from Chelmsford, MA. I'm a Corporate Finance and Accounting major at Bentley University in Waltham, MA and I’m the President of our Her Campus Chapter. I joined Her Campus because I think it's a great creative outlet for college students. I like writing about my personal experiences, opinions, and recommendations! Thanks for reading!