This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I’m about to be a Bentley alumna. Now this is certainly cause for celebration, though I fully admit it being cause of more than a few mental breakdowns and crying in public. There are lots of reasons for me to have a whole lot of feelings right now. I, unlike many of my fellow graduating seniors, don’t yet have a job lined up. Instead of rushing around at the last minute while trying to study for finals as well as enjoy my last few weeks of undergrad, I’ve decided to go home for the summer. And here are some reasons why:

1. The weather in boston in the summer is just too hot for me

I’ll be going home to the Pacific Northwest and let me tell you, our summer is very different. The perpetual rain of Seattle dries up, the thermometer can hardly ever reach the nineties. This is what I grew up with and I’m not ready to swelter in the East Coast humidity for months. At least, not yet. I’ll be back.

2. This is the last time in my youth that I’ll be able to relax

I want to go home and be a kid again! I want to go to all my fave places from high school and act like nothing has changed. I want my parents to chide me for sleeping in too late. I want to take some time to do nothing before I have to work for the rest of my life.

3. I don’t have a job

I’m worried that, because of the Bentley culture and need for a job before graduation, I’ll end up somewhere that doesn’t make me happy. I’m not going to be doing nothing at home all summer, I’ll be looking for a job. Not just any job, a job that I love and that will make me happy. I’m still young enough to say that when I grow up I want to be happy. I’m also still young enough to make that happen.

4. I’m able to, my parents will support me

And this is amazing, I am so beyond lucky to be in a position in life to have parents and loved ones who are willing to support me. So many people don’t have such a support system and I’m really looking forward to being able to take advantage of mine. Love you, Mumma and Daddy!

5. Speaking of my parents, I freaking love them

When will I ever get the opportunity to just spend time with my parents like this again? I’m pretty sure the answer is never. I went to school so far away from my parents, and it’s definitely been an amazing experience. But, I’ve also missed out on a lot of time with them being on the other side of the country. I don’t want to leave them again, not yet.

6. I want to go home, why is there anything wrong with that?

I’m resentful of the fact that our society makes it so that people think that as soon as they’re done with schooling they need to be entirely independent. I’ve never considered myself a particularly independent person. This is what I want to do, what I think is best for me right now, and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let society tell me otherwise.

7. I’m just not ready to be a full blown adult yet

Are you?

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.