My Thoughts on the New Barbie Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Words can’t describe my excitement for this movie. First of all, I am so excited that Greta Gerwig is making it because I love everything she does. Everything she touches turns to gold and all of her films have such a nostalgic, comforting, and raw feel to them that is unrivaled in my opinion. Seeing the trailers, I have every hope that Barbie will be no different. 

I am also obsessed with the cast. Ryan Gosling is Ken. He’s hilarious in the trailer and I can’t imagine anyone else playing his part. I can’t wait to see more from him. Margot Robbie looks flawless as Barbie and I’m loving her and Ryan’s awkward chemistry so far, it perfectly mirrors Barbie and Ken’s dynamic. I also love the other Barbie and Kens’, particularly the 3 actors from Sex Education, Connor Swindells, Ncuti Gatwa, and Emma Mackey. Emma Mackey is one of my favorite female actors in film right now and seeing her face on the movie poster was so exciting for me. I love the vibe of Sex Education and I think those actors have a lot to do with that, so I’m super excited to see them in Barbie. 

The story is iconic, the cast is stacked, and one of my favorite directors is making it– it’s the perfect storm. Overall, I am so excited for this movie and July 21st truly cannot come soon enough.

Jane Massett

Bentley '25

Hi! My name is Jane Massett and I'm from Westchester New York. I am a sophomore at Bentley University and I plan to major in Media and Culture.