Michaela Powers, ‘12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Name: Michaela Powers

Hometown: Dalton, MA

Graduation Year: 2012

Her Campus Bentley (HCB): What did you major in here at Bentley?

Michaela Powers (MP): I have a degree in Accountancy, a minor in Law, and I also have a Liberal Studies Major in Health & Industry.

HCB: While here at Bentley were you also working along with taking classes?

MP: Yes! While at Bentley I worked in the Office of Financial Aid as a work study student as well as tutoring local kids in Waltham.

HCB: What are your interests and hobbies outside of working?

MP: I enjoy shopping, hanging out with friends, and baking. I also love going to the beach.

HCB: If you could describe yourself in 3 words what would they be?

MP: I would describe myself as motivated, independent, and energetic!

HCB: What was your top 2 favorite moments at Bentley?

MP: Definitely going to the Bahamas with my senior class during commencement week. It was a week I will never forget. Another favorite was a Halloween party my friends and I went to at Milner Street.

HCB: What do you miss most about Bentley?

MP: For starters of course Skellig! It was also really fun living in the same building as all my friends. Another thing I loved was when people started turning 21 they would rent busses to take us out in Boston; those were some of the best nights out. I still miss Skellig on Thursday nights. The LaCava salads were my favorite thing to eat.

Spring Day is unlike anything else! I wish I could play on the inflatable obstacle courses and the giant slip and slides every day. I loved being so close to the gym, and laying on the Greenspace, and going to Joseph’s for breakfast on the weekends. I do not like that Skellig is not my usual Thursday sport and just really miss the college lifestyle in general. 

HCB: What are you doing now that you have graduated?

MP: I am now an Assurance Associate at BDO USA, LLP which is located in Boston and I am also in the process of getting my CPA!

HCB: You told us you now work in Boston, where are you living?

MP: I live in Brighton now with 3 roommates who all went to Bentley and we have been friends since freshman year. One of which was my roommate all four years at Bentley!

HCB: How is life/night life in Boston?

MP: Night life in the city is so fun and convenient!

HCB: If you could travel anywhere right now where would you go?

MP: Paris

HCB: If you could give the underclassman some advice on balancing school, work, and a social life what would you tell them?

MP: Don’t get too stressed out about studying/doing homework! Those aren’t the memories that you’ll be happy to look back on once you’ve graduated. Obviously Bentley is a really competitive school and companies consider your GPA to an extent when they’re looking to hire you, but a lot of people have good GPAs so I would advise you to find other ways to distinguish yourself from others.

Take lots of pictures! You may be thinking now that you still have 1, 2 or 3 years left but it goes by faster than you think! I know you’ve probably heard that a lot, I know I did, but it’s honestly true!

Value the friendships and new relationships that you made throughout college, because once you graduate you will NOT see each other as much as you would like, no matter what you think. Try to get involved as much as you can with activities on campus, that’s one thing I really regret not doing. Start looking for internships early and get as much real-world experience as you can, that will help you out immensely once you’re looking for full-time jobs. Everyone, especially seniors, should take advantage of every group activity that your class does! Some of them may sound lame now but GO because you’ll look back 6 months after graduation and wish you participated in everything. Senior year, especially second semester is so emotional — happy, sad, nervous, exciting! Embrace it and enjoy every second.

Bentley University