Mellinda Abbott, Adjunct Lecturer, Accountancy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I had the pleasure of interviewing my GB112-Accounting and Finance Professor, Mellinda Abbott.

Her Campus Bentley: How did you begin teaching at Bentley? 

Mellinda Abbott: In 2007, the AICPA ran a campaign to help with the shortage of accounting candidates in higher education. This shortage prompted the AICPA to create a program called the “Bridge Program” to help bridge professional CPA’s into the world of Academia. So in 2008, I took a course and became professionally qualified to teach at the university level by the AACSB. At this point, I reached out to my alma mater and came in contact with Chris Nolder. I had graduated with Chris in 1990. At the time I spoke to Chris she was getting her PhD at Bentley. She recommended I come in and meet her and Eliot Levy. So I did and the rest is history. I have been teaching at Bentley since the fall of 2009.

HCB: Where else have you worked/do you work?

MA: I also taught full time for 2 years at Salem State University. I have owned and operated my own Accounting Consulting Firm for over 10 years. It is called Abbott and Company and we are located in Lexington, MA. I have one full time staff accountant and 3 part-time employees. I graduated with my BS in Accounting in 1990 and my MBA in 1995.

HCB: What is the difference between Bentley now and when you attended?

MA: Since I left Bentley in 1995, a lot has changed. For one, Bentley is now a University and has a female president. During my tenure at Bentley, Dr. Adamian was president. The campus has changed a few new buildings and renovated the library and has added more on campus housing. Our class gift in 1990 was the funding to renovate the library of the Center for Business Ethics. I didn’t realize at the time but ethics became paramount in my career and today remains a driving force in my firm and those I serve. To conclude, a great deal of what you see has changed in the last 22 years but what you can’t see hasn’t changed a bit, and that is the heart and soul of those who teach and support the academics of this amazing University.

HCB: What is your greatest advice to students?

MA: My biggest piece of advice for students is to foster a lifelong ambition to keeplearning. I love being in the classroom; it is a constant reminder of my goal to never stop learning.

HCB: What do you like to do for fun?
MA: I am married with 3 kids. I love spending time with my family outdoors, we love the beach, skiing and gardening.

Bentley University Class of 2015