Martha Perry ’10, Global Services Leadership Development Program at EMC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Name:Martha Perry
Major/Graduation Year:Management Major, Class of 2010
Hometown:Farmington, CT

Bentley Leadership Positions: Class Cabinet 2010—President, SGA—Speaker of the Senate, Vice President of Marketing—Alpha Phi, Falcon Society

HC: What leadership positions did you hold on campus? How did you get involved with them?

MP: I was always really involved in high school, so when I started at Bentley I knew I wanted to be involved in similar activities. I wasn’t sure of the time commitment so freshman year I only ran for Class Cabinet. After I realized this was pretty easy to manage, I decided to run for SGA at the end of freshman year. Most of my good friends joined a sorority second semester, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do the same. I thought about it a lot that summer and then decided to give it a shot the fall of my sophomore year. I decided to stay with these as my three main activities and then got more involved in each group throughout the semesters. Based off all of my involvement, I was accepted into the Falcon Society my junior year.

HC: How do you think these positions have helped to prepare you for the “real world?”

MP: I think these positions gave me a lot of leadership skills necessary for the real world. I had to oversee many projects at the same time, and make sure we met all of our deadlines. Additionally, I was able to develop skills on how to effectively lead change, and lead projects. Many of these skills only come with practice, and being in leadership positions in 3 different groups definitely allowed me to experience a multitude of different situations. Now when I’m faced with leading a project, I’m able to draw on past experiences to help me be successful.

HC: Where are you working and how do you like it?

MP: I’m currently in the Global Services Leadership Development Program at EMC and love it. I have had the opportunity to be involved with high exposure projects, present at the executive level, and also have had the opportunity to travel internationally.

HC: What advice would you give to underclassmen at Bentley about making the most of your 4 years?

MP: Have fun. At the end of the day it’s always about who you know so you might as well have some fun while you make those connections. Work never ends but college does.

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.