Jimmy Doan: Program Coordinator, Student Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Jimmy Doan, one of the newest additions to the Student Activities office, has only been a member of the Bentley community since this past June but has already made a lasting impression on this campus. You may recognize him as the friendly face at Falcons U Nite events, the J. Crew model that advises CAB, or the smirking face driving a student in a mini-golf cart around campus this past Thursday (one of Super Bingo’s prizes!)  If you’re a student frequently working with Jimmy, you know his office has the best candy and his door is always open.  Whichever Jimmy you’re familiar with, you know he’s FAB!  And if you don’t, that’s about to change.

HC: Prior to Bentley, what was your experience with Student Activities/Student Programming?
 JD: Before I started working at Bentley in June 2011, I completed my master’s degree at the University of Vermont where I was the Graduate Assistant for Campus Programs. While in Burlington, VT I advised the programming board and coordinated large scale programs including Homecoming and other annual events. However, I first started drinking the student activities Kool-Aid when I was an itty-biddy sophomore in undergrad at the College of the Holy Cross. I got involved in the Campus Activities Board and started off as a co-chair of the comedy committee and went on to become treasurer then president my senior year. To be completely honest, it all happened because I was dying to attend the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) Northeast Regional conference because my friends told me that I could meet cast members from MTV’s Real World and Mr. Belding from Saved by the Bell there. Thankfully, I no longer have the same star-struck reaction when I see any of these “famous” people at conferences nowadays as an advisor.

HC: What has been the most difficult programming situation you have dealt with and how did you overcome it?
JD: Planning an event as a student and advising students planning events are two vastly different experiences, but two things that I love. With any program that I plan or work with students, especially those on CAB, to plan I always anticipate challenges – not because I think they’re fun or because I want to make anyone’s job more difficult, but because in the end, being prepared for anything that comes your way will make your program greater and make you a better programmer.

When I was in grad school, I worked with the Concert Bureau at UVM to plan SpringFest (their version of Spring Day). The concert, normally held outdoors on the campus green space, was moved indoors because of rain leading up to the event. On the day of the event, over 2,000 students were in the gymnasium during Thievery Corporation’s opening set when all of a sudden the power went out and the flood lights turned on. Nothing running off the grounded power from the building worked, including some equipment for the production of the concert. Thankfully, the band’s main instruments and vocals were running off of generators, allowing them to finish their set. However, something had to be done prior to the headlining act, The Roots, hit the stage. To make a long story short, there’s nothing that a few blow up beach balls to entertain a crowd, another generator delivered to power the remainder of the production and some industrial fans, and student comedians with a battery operated megaphone can’t fix. The show continued on, running a little later than planned, but everyone left satisfied, including The Roots who loved the Coleman battery operated camping lamps which we used to light their dressing rooms. I can’t say that I went into this event knowing that the power in that section of campus was going to go out because of a blown transmitter in the ground, but the preparedness for anything made thinking of solutions to the problem easier.

[pagebreak]

HC: When it comes to programming, what is your number one tip for a successful event?
 JD: Don’t just see yourself as an event planner. Be a programmer. Anyone can easily book a space, call a DJ, and buy a few strobe lights to have a dance party but it takes the commitment of dedicated people with open and creative minds to say…transform a gym into a big dance club for 1,800 people. Think about the experience that you want to create for people attending your event. Whether you’re planning a lecture, a fashion show, or a dinner, push your creative mind to think about what you would want to take away from the event as an attendee. How do you want to feel the second you walk out the door as you’re leaving the event? What do you want people saying about the event the following day? When in doubt, ask people what they want from your event or what would make them interested in going.

HC: What advice do you have for students who want to get more involved but do not know where to start?
JD: There are so many opportunities to get involved at Bentley! With over 100 active student organizations and an amazing staff in Student Activities (wait, this is an opportunity to put in a shameless plug for Student Activitieswhose office is located in the Student Center, right?), there is no reason to not be involved. Ask yourself what would make you “whole” during your next few years (or last few semesters) in college and find it. Whether it’s finding a community of other individuals who identify similarly to you in cultural demographic or taking up a new hobby or service activity, chances are that there a few other people out there who want the same thing. It may take some stepping outside of your comfort zone to start off, but the rewards of co-curricular involvement in college last a lifetime. Find a student organization you’re interested in and go to their next general meeting or stop by the Student Activities office to chat with Nicole, Adam, Lai-Monté or myself…we always welcome visitors!

HC: What are your future plans for Student Activities at Bentley U?
 JD: 
The Department of Student Activities has gone through some significant changes this past calendar year with four new staff members being brought on board. We’re all dedicated to making the Student Activities experience a meaningful one for any student who crosses paths with us. Whether you want to start a new student group, are going through the new member process to become a fraternity man or sorority woman, are developing your leadership skills as a Certified Bentley Leader or attending a late night event sponsored by Falcons UNite, my hope for all students is that you’re finding ways to add to your academic experience while here at Bentley. And of course I’m looking forward to many great programs this semester including Spring Day, Commencement Week in the Bahamas, and the Falcon Awards!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.