This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

There is generally a negative stigma around the whole concept of ghosting. For those of you who don’t know, ghosting is when you cut off all ties with someone suddenly. Usually, there is no explanation whatsoever for this. I know what you might be thinking, why would you ever want to ghost someone? What did they ever do to you? I’m here to tell you that sometimes ghosting is necessary and here are some tips on the proper way to ghost someone.

Reasons to ghost someone:

• They won’t leave you alone after you have already told them you are not interested.

• You just need to delete them from your life – it is time to move on, and it will be better for both of you.

How to ghost someone:

1. Stop replying to them. Whether it’s texting or Snapchat, don’t reply. This might be hard if you still have feelings for them but need to better yourself.

• Remember for snapchat people can see if you view their snap so you must be strong.
  • If you can, don’t open their snaps or look at their stories. If you don’t open it you won’t feel the need to respond.

2. Stop liking their posts. If you really need to cut them off, block them on all social media accounts.

3. Try to avoid them. If you see them everyday this will be difficult. Try to avoid eye contact.

These are only some of my suggestions. These tips work better on certain people, but if you have to ghost someone you’ll know what’s right!

*don’t ghost someone to be mean or if you just want to avoid confrontation.

Images: 1 / 2

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Bentley and majoring in IDCC with a minor in Gender Studies. I love dogs and chocolate.
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.