Foodie Friday: Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

This past weekend was pretty brutal for anyone in or around the New England area. If you once associated the name Nemo with a bright orange fish, you now know that maybe it is for the best that we don’t find him.

After surviving Nemo’s two feet of snow, we decided there would be no better meal to warm up our frosted finger tips and bright pink windblown cheeks than a big bowl of delicious soup. However, this is definitely a recipe you can enjoy regardless of whether you are snowed in or not. This week, we recruited our friend Katie to show us how she prepares her famous Greek Lemon Chicken Soup.  Naturally, we were thrilled to learn!

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

Adapted from Fork Fingers Chopsticks

Ingredients

2 large chicken breasts, cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces, seasoned generously with salt and pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 half medium onion, diced small

6 stalks of celery, diced small

4 large carrots, diced small

12 cups chicken stock (3 quarts) or bouillon cubes (personal preference)

1 cup starchy rice such as Arborio or orzo pasta

1 to 2 teaspoons salt, divided

3 eggs, whisked

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons), juice divided

1 to 2 teaspoons black pepper

[pagebreak]

Directions:

1.    Cut chicken breasts into large pieces (2 to 3 inch pieces, about same thickness) and season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2.    In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the diced onion, celery and carrots. Sauté for about two minutes. If the vegetables and bottom of the pot are completely dry, drizzle in about a tablespoon more of olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Lightly brown on both sides, stirring vegetables to avoid over browning.

3.    Add chicken stock, rice, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a slow boil, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes until chicken and rice are cooked.

4.    Remove 1 1/2 cups broth and set aside in a separate small bowl. Set aside to cool slightly. Remove chicken with tongs and shred with a fork. Set aside separately. (2 large chicken breasts make about 3 cups of shredded chicken)

5.    In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs with 1/2 cup lemon juice (use about 1/4 cup lemon juice for a more subdued lemon accent). Whisk in about 1/4 cup of the previously set-aside chicken broth into the egg mixture to temper the eggs – so they do not curdle. Repeat again, incrementally and slowly adding more broth as you whisk. After you’ve incorporated all the set-aside broth into the egg mixture, slowly add it to the large pot of soup, whisking quickly to incorporate.

6.    Return the shredded chicken to the pot – heat throughout. Note: the heat should be on low and the soup should not boil again. Add the black pepper and adjust the salt. Serve hot and top with fresh parsley, dill or crackers. This will thicken as it sits.

Helpful Hints:

– If the strong lemon flavor makes you nervous, you can cut back the amount whisked in with the eggs to ¼ cup and add more to taste if needed.  Just know that the lemon flavor gets more concentrated as the soup thickens. Be cautious if you plan on using more than ½ cup or the juice of two lemons

– Vegetables can be added or removed depending on personal preference. May we suggest trying potatoes, peppers, corn and/or peas?!

-Katie has the cutest DIY bowls so if you have any lying around be sure to serve up your soup in them!

Enjoy! HCXO

Bentley University Class of 2014
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.