Five Tips to Better Time Management at Bentley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

We all love college. What isn’t there to love? Only a few hours of classes each day, no parents, and all the time in the world for ourselves. But, all that free time can lend itself to trouble when we use our time in the wrong way.

Here are some tips that can help you manage your time and succeed in all aspects of your college life:

1.)  Use a schedule
This doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to carry around a daily planner everywhere, but you should have some kind of calendar to help you stay organized. Whether you use paper, a phone, or Outlook, make sure that you put everything on it — even going to the gym or taking a nap. If you know everything that you have to do for the day, and have it scheduled out, you’re more likely to get it all done.

2.)  Be realistic
When making your schedule, don’t try to cram too many things into one day and don’t put things at hours where they won’t work. For example, if you normally sleep in until 10:00 or 11:00 a.m., don’t say that you’re going to do your homework from 8:00-10:00 a.m. You probably won’t actually get up and then you’ll be behind in your work. It doesn’t really matter what time you do your work, as long as you’re realistic about scheduling it.

3.)  Don’t take on too many activities and responsibilities
Because we all go to a business school, we know that the best way to get a job is to be able to market ourselves; and, the best way to do that is to demonstrate to our perspective employers that we were active in college. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to be on the executive board of five different clubs, which would just lead to a lot of stress and sleepless nights.

Instead, pick the two or three clubs that you are more passionate about and get really involved in them. This way, you aren’t overwhelming yourself, and when the time comes to find employment, you can still impress employers with all your hard work and extracurricular activities.

4.)  Don’t forget about the social aspects of college
While we are here to study and work hard, there is definitely a social part of college that even adults cannot ignore. So, make sure that you give yourself some time to have fun and enjoy the best four years of your life. At the same time, don’t go too crazy and forget about studying and work. Keep it balance!

5.)  Have fun and be flexible
Life is going to throw a lot of curve balls at you, so remember to try and go with the flow while still keeping your priorities in sight. It’s all about time management, finding a balance that works for you, and enjoying your life here at Bentley as much as possible. 

Leave a comment below and let us know if you are going to use any of these tips to stay organized this year!

Jessica is a senior at Bentley University majoring in Marketing and minoring in Computer Science. She is the co-president and editor-in-chief of the Her Campus Bentley branch and loves anything and everything Her Campus! In her spare time she enjoys reading and writing about pretty much everything.
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.