This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It is no brainer that long term relationships are an investment; they take time and energy. Couples have to have the patience, the right communication styles, and mutual understanding to overcome their differences. Knowing which Love Language a person possesses can give relationships a mutual understanding, helping couples move past their obstacles in a healthy manner. 

What are the Five Love Languages? 

Gary Chapman identified the Five Love Languages as the unique ways humans give and express love. When it comes to our needs in a relationship, most of us have one dominant love language that makes us feel loved, cared for, and special.  I highly encourage couples and singles to take the Five Love Languages quiz to understand yourself and your partner better. This way, you can learn what to look for in someone else and/or how to fulfill your partner’s needs in a relationship. 

How does the Quiz Work? 

The quiz on the 5 Love Languages website has various examinations tailored to the person’s relationship status, gender, and age to get the most specific results. The website asks a series of questions of what a person prefers in a relationship that takes less than ten minutes. Results can have more than one love language. For instance, when I took the quiz, I had a primary love language of Quality Time as 33 percent, followed by the second Words of Affirmation of 27 percent, and the last two were split Receiving gifts and Physical Touch as both ten percent. 

Physical Touch 

Physical contact is the most simple form of the five love languages because it does not require any words. People who primarily have physical touch as their love language receive most fulfillment from their partner through kisses, hugs, holding hands, and physical affection. They feel most comfortable being held, enjoy massages and other physical ways that make them feel the most cared for. 

Words of Affirmation

This group of individuals feels the most cared for through affection and compliments. They feel happiest when they hear nice words from their partner, whether motivation, encouragement, or reassurance that powers them to go about their daily lives. 

Quality Time

My love language is quality time. People who have quality time as their primary love language understand spending exclusive time with their partners as a way of expressing that they love and care for them. This makes them feel cared for that despite their busy schedules, they are making their time with them full and rewarding. To those that value quality time, what activities they spend with their partner does not matter; instead, it is the person they are spending time with. 

Receiving Gifts

This group of people enjoys giving and receiving presents, not necessarily having to be material or expensive. They read how considerate or the intent behind the gift is. To them, it is about knowing the other person through small and significant presents as a way to express their love for another. 

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!