First Timers Guide to Harvard Square on Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Harvard Square on Sunday

VINYASA YOGA AT LULULEMON

It’s worth the early morning.

There is much more than what meets the eye inside the Lululemon at Harvard Square. Although the running manikins in the window of the store dressed from head to toe in the trendiest athletic apparel on the market may make you believe that the storefront is only for merchandise, the store also focuses on community outreach. Referred to as a “seasonal store,” this Lululemon focuses on creating connections with its customers. It offers a fitness class every day from an upstairs, loft-style studio that overlooks Harvard Square.

On Sunday mornings, at 10am, the class offered is vinyasa yoga. It transports you from the hustle and bustle of the outside world that you can view from the studio, to a quiet, peaceful spot on the center of a yoga mat. It allows you to get off campus, put aside your stress, and focus on the personal goals you have for yourself. Too often we forget that it is okay to go moment by moment – and we need someone to remind us when to inhale and exhale. So, get a group of friends together, lay out your cutest pair of Lululemon leggings and a sports bra, set your alarm for 8:45am, and know that the early morning wake up is worth it.

TREAT YOURSELF

Calories on the weekend don’t count, right?

I was once told by roommate, Lindsay Toia, that calories on the weekend don’t count. Although I wish she never said this to me, it is now a motto I live by. There are times in which it is okay to treat yourself!! And, Harvard Square is one of those times. There are many different spots for foodies, both secret and well known, throughout the Square. I challenge you to find a new spot each Sunday until you find the one spot that you count down the days until your next Sunday in Harvard Square. This spot for me is Pokéworks.

POKEWORKS

At Pokéworks you become an artist, combining all the elements of your favorite sushi rolls into one rainbow colored masterpiece. In my opinion, eating a poke bowl is the only time it becomes acceptable to eat sushi without chopsticks, because you honestly need a fork to get all the flavors into one bite. And for all you sushi skeptics, there are other protein options as well, such as shrimp, scallops, tofu, and chicken. Also, feel free to ask questions!! Yes, I didn’t know what Umami Shoyu sauce tasted like either. ….Yes, this first picture is the very definition of pure happiness.

Another spot I often crave is Amorino.

AMORINO

Five words for you: Amarena Cream and Black Cherries.

I am that person who always asks the employee scooping my gelato to tell me his/her recommended flavor, and I would like to thank the matchmaker at Amorino who introduced me to my new found love.

FARMERS MARKET

Fresh, Seasonal Produce from the Locals

From barrels of freshly picked honey crisp apples and a baker’s dozen of apple cider donuts, to freshly baked loaves of bread and artisan cheeses and jams, the Farmers Market is a perfect way to feel like you are embracing all New England has to offer. The Farmers Market is open from 10 am to 3 pm. Look like a local by bringing your reusable grocery bag and overflowing it with affordable, healthy, and fresh locally grown food. “Farm to Table” is now more like “Farm to Dorm Room.”

KNOW THE GOOD CAFES

Spend the morning sipping lattes in Tatte

If you have never been to Tatte Bakery & Café, you HAVE to walk in. The sight of the foamwork (my invented word for foam artwork? I feel like there needs to be a word for this new trend) in matcha and almond milk lattes, and the aroma of house made sourdough and chocolate croissants that have just been taken out of the oven is reason enough to stay. Once you do choose to stay – find a cute table, take out your laptop, and spend the day writing that essay you have due…or a Her Campus article. It will feel so rewarding to be productive, while also spending the day somewhere that isn’t the Library. There is conversation and movement all around you, whether you choose to embrace this atmosphere while sitting at a white marble counter top or a family style wooden farm table is completely up to you.

And, if you do not feel like doing work, you can always sit and talk with friends, read a book for enjoyment that is not for a class, listen to music, or online shop for the new season (a personal favorite of mine).

I hope to see you all next Sunday.

Xoxo, Em

Images: Courtesy of Emma Boushie

Emma Boushie

Bentley '22

Emma Boushie is a Freshman at Bentley University planning on majoring in Marketing with a liberal studies minor in Data Technologies. Although she is working towards a career in the business industry, she has always had a love for creative writing, and is now able to pursue this love through Her Campus. At Bentley, she is a member of the Women's Leadership Program and on the Executive Board for Dresses to Dreams. You can always find her on campus with a soy latte in hand, studying outside, meeting friends for sushi at LaCava, or at the gym; and off campus shopping the newest fashion trends on Newbury Street.
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.