Easy Ways to Use Fall’s Seasonal Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I think I’m obsessed with the food that comes with fall. Seeing summer go is sad, but getting all the yummy seasonal food almost makes up for it. Foods that are in season are something that should be taken advantage of! This is the only time of year you’ll be able to get these foods at a reasonable price, which in turn means this is the only time of year you’ll be eating them (for the most part).

Unless you love cooking, incorporating fall’s foods into your meals might seem difficult or tedious, but it can actually be much simpler than you think. Here are some easy ways to integrate this season’s foods into your daily cooking regimen!

Snacks

1. Baked apples. If you love apple crisp, this snack is for you. Peel and core an apple, and then slice the apple into ¼ inch pieces and spread over a plate. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the top and then bake in the microwave for about 4 minutes, or until the apples get super soft. If you like pears better, you substitute those instead.

2. Roasted pears. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Toss peeled and cored ¼ inch pear slices with a tablespoon of lemon juice and then sprinkle some sugar (and cinnamon if you wish) throughout. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until browned. It helps if you rotate them midway.

3. Pumpkin spice latte. In a blender mix a ½ cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, a few shakes of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Add to 1 cup of strong, brewed coffee and sweeten to taste. No need to pay 3 bucks for that at Starbucks anymore!
[pagebreak]

Meals/Side Dishes

1. Grilled butternut squash. This is a great side dish. Spray a grilling pan (or frying pan if you don’t have one) with non-stick spray. Let this heat up while you toss ½ inch stick of the squash with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and a few tablespoons of honey. Throw them on the pan until they are soft all the way through. Omit the honey if you prefer a savory flavor.

2. Pumpkin curry soup. Cook one onion and a clove of garlic in a few tablespoons of butter. Stir in 2 teaspoons of curry powder and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and a 15oz can of pumpkin puree, bring to a simmer, and then cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in about a cup of evaporated milk before serving.

3. Butter-pecan mashed sweet potatoes. Microwave 4 sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 8 minutes, or until they’re very soft. Then, cut each in half and scoop out the potato. Once all has been scooped, mash it until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 2 tablespoons of warm milk, and ¼ tablespoon of salt. Top with ¼ of toasted pecans.
[pagebreak]

Desserts

1. Pumpkin muffins. You won’t believe how easy, fast, and wallet friendly this recipe is. Take a box of yellow cake mix and mix it with a 15oz can of pumpkin puree. Give it a couple shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg, and then disperse it evenly into a muffin tin with about 12 muffin holes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

2. Zucchini cake. This recipe also uses a yellow cake mix. Mix it with 4 eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of vanilla. Fold in 2 cups of grated zucchini and ½ cup nuts (omit if you wish). Bake at 350 for 30-40 min. Use a toothpick to test. Top it with cream cheese icing if you’d like!

3. Maple syrup frosting. Here’s something so easy and so simple that you could put on almost anything. Mix 1 ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar with 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2-4 tablespoons of maple syrup. Whisk until smooth, and then spread over a plain sugar cookie to give it a seasonal twist.

Image Sources:
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/08/pumpkin-spice-latte-for-one/
http://www.recipe.com/mashed-maple-sweet-potatoes-with-toasted-pecans/
http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/spiced-zucchini-cake/