Cute, Creative Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

For us festive Collegiettes™, Halloween is more than just a costume and a dance; it’s pumpkins, candy, scary movies, and decorations. However, translating the Halloween we had at home into a “college Halloween” can be tricky. So, here are some fun ways to be creative:

1.    Stock up on Sweets

Just because you can’t trick-or-treat doesn’t mean that you can’t stock up on candy! Pick up some candy at the grocery store and put it in a little bowl to be kept inside your room. It’s welcoming, mimics a trick-or-treat grab bowl, and spreads the Halloween spirit to everyone that drops by to see you.

2.   
Spooky Lights

Hang up some orange and purple Christmas lights around your room. Buy a plastic light up jack-o-lantern to put on your windowsill; it’s as close to the real deal you’re going to get without violating campus fire and safety laws.

3.    Decorate your Window

Templates: My window is decorated with little black cats and witches that I cut out from the back of Martha Stewart’s Halloween Magazine. I stuck the cut outs up by putting a loop of clear tape on the back of them.  I also found more templates and ideas on the Martha Stewart website.
add space

Decals:If you don’t want to spend your time cutting out paper templates, you can always pick up some decals. Decals are graphics printed on thin clear paper that look similar to plastic wrap.  They require no adhesive and when you are ready to take them down (only to redecorate for Thanksgiving, of course) they won’t leave any residue on your window like a sticker would.

Cob Webs:String some cob webs across your window; they’re easy to put up and take down, and they scream Halloween.

Gooey Stickers/Gel Clings:If you’re feeling elaborate and want a truly unique window decoration, use gooey stickers. They look like clear gel and are about half an inch thick and stick directly on glass.

4.    Get Scared!
Rent some horror movies, pop some popcorn, and find a group of friends to watch them with. Nothing says Halloween like watching a horror movie with your friends (think Janice and Damien from Mean Girls). Plus, hosting a little get together in your room with the gang is a perfect opportunity to show off all of your hard work as a decorator.

Have some amazing ideas that weren’t mentioned? Let us know by posting a comment below. Have a very HerCampus Halloween!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.