Confessions of an Overpacker: How to Pack for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

We’ve all been there. Staring at your closet or suitcase wondering how on Earth you’ll ever be able to make it all fit. Then you start struggling with multiple zippers and trying to convince yourself that you really do need your entire wardrobe.

We all like having options, especially when we’re going somewhere new and don’t know what the style is like there or if we’ll need to impress anyone. With Spring Break fast approaching, packing is a great way to productively procrastinate from readings and homework, but if you over-think it, you’ll likely over-pack it.

I am one of the world’s worst felons when it comes to overpacking for vacations, regardless of how long they are. I hope all Collegiettes can learn from my mistakes and take these really easy and fun packing tips!

Going on Vacation

No matter where you’re jetting off to this Spring Break, over-packing is a serious issue. Here are my steps to beating the over-packing syndrome:

• Step 1: Lay out everything you want to bring on your bed.
  • Step 2: PUT HALF OF IT AWAY!
  • Step 3: Pack your suitcase.

I know it seems daunting to put half of what you want to bring back in your drawers or closet, but, trust me, this will help so so so much! It’s way better to have some room in your suitcase at the end than to have to decide at the last minute what to leave at home. And, if you find yourself with more room, you can add back some of the stuff you decided to leave out!

Another awesome packing trick is rolling your clothes instead of laying them flat. This will maximize the amount of space in your suitcase and keep your clothes wrinkle-free during your travels.

Also, remember to save some room for any cool stuff you might buy over break!

Going Home

If you’re going home for Spring Break, consider yourself lucky on the packing front. All you really need to bring home is the massive amount of laundry that has surely multiplied over the weeks. Whenever I plan to go home, even if it’s a few weeks in advance, I try to hold out on doing laundry as long as possible. Isn’t everything better when it’s free?! So just throw the basket in the trunk of your car and you’re good to go. If you take public transportation home, dump it all into a suitcase and you’re set.

You can also be overly ambitious when going home for Spring Break by packing every single textbook or notebook you use this semester. In my opinion, think about only the things that are due the day or two after Spring Break ends and take those books home. There’s no need to break your back with a heavy backpack and, let’s be honest, you’ll be spending minimal time on homework.

Overpacking for a trip home is way more acceptable, so don’t be afraid to bring more stuff home. Just remember, you’ll probably go shopping or need your cute spring clothes when you come back to Bentley! The Greenspace will be calling your name.

For more style and packing tips, check out the Suitcase Secrets blog!

Sources:

http://mycrazyorganizedlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/laundry-basket.jpg

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/travel/packing-for-trip-0807#slide-1

http://emmapdahl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/overpacking-1.jpg

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.