A Collegiette’s™ Guide to Dorm Room Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It never fails. At the beginning of every semester, I promise myself I will evenly budget my discretionary dollars so that I don’t end up broke and ravenous by finals. Fast forward three weeks and I’ve already mowed through over $100 worth of LaCava salads and Starbucks iced coffees.

In attempt to actually follow through on my vow this semester, I decided to begin eating at least one meal a day in my room. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I have always loved cooking. So, I figured this fun challenge would be the perfect solution to my problem–the only issue being that my “kitchen” consists of a schizophrenic microwave that only works properly about half the time. 

Needless to say, I was forced to get creative. I scowered food blogs and channeled my inner iron chef. Despite a few complete and utter disasters, I found several tasty meal options that are quick, easy, and surprisingly nutritious. Many of the recipes feature wholesome, fresh ingredients like fruits and vegetables that can easily be snagged at Seasons.

Here are some of my all-time favorites you can try out in your own dorm:

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
This oatmeal has become one of my breakfast staples. It only takes a few minutes to make and it always keeps me satisfied until lunch. Feel free to get creative with your topping choices! I’ve used everything from chocolate chips to dried fruit and granola.

Ingredients:
1 packet plain microwaveable oatmeal (I like Quaker brand)
1 banana, mashed
1 spoonful of peanut butter

Instructions:
 Mix the plain oatmeal with about a half a cup of water. Microwave for 1:30. Then, add the mashed banana to the oatmeal and mix well. Put the oatmeal/banana mixture back into the microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Top with the peanut butter and any other creative toppings. Enjoy!

Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
This is a variation of the oatmeal similar to the one above except it uses apples and cinnamon instead of the banana. The end result tastes like warm homemade apple pie fresh from the oven.

Ingredients:
1 packet of plain microwaveable oatmeal
1 granny smith apple
Ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of oil (canola, flax seed, or coconut)

Instructions:
Dice the apple and drizzle with a small amount of oil. Sprinkle a generous amount of ground cinnamon onto the apples (the cubes should be lightly coated). Microwave the apple mixture for about 1 minute. In a separate bowl, mix the oatmeal with ½ cup of water and microwave for 1:30. Lastly, combine the apples and oatmeal and microwave for about 30 more seconds. Pure heaven in a bowl!

Cheese Quesadillas
This recipe is great as lunch or a midnight study snack. You could also easily substitute mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce for the cheddar and salsa to make your own mini pizza. Bonus: by using a whole-wheat wrap, you are adding fiber to your diet and cutting calories!

Ingredients:

1 whole-wheat tortilla
1 handful of cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
2 spoonfuls of Salsa (for dipping)

Instructions:

Spread the cheese of your choice on top of the tortilla. Microwave for about 15 seconds. Then, fold the tortilla in half and microwave for an additional 10-20 seconds. Times can vary depending on the microwave, so keep an eye on the quesadilla. Serve with the salsa on the side.

Helpful hint:
Be sure to place a paper towel or plate underneath the tortilla. Hardened cheese + microwave turntable = one hot mess.

Microwave Baked Sweet Potato
Although it sounds plain, the natural sweetness of the potato makes this recipe taste like an indulgent dessert. Sweet potatoes also pack over 100% the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A. So, eat up!  

Ingredients:
1 sweet potato
Optional: Ground cinnamon or nutmeg

Instructions:

Poke at least eight holes into the sweet potato with a fork. DON’T SKIP THIS STEP! The potato can explode if it doesn’t have any ventilation. Microwave for 10 minutes, turning it about half way through. Note that cooking times vary depending on the size of the potato, so be sure to check on it periodically.  Season to taste with cinnamon or nutmeg and dig in!

Best grocery store staples:
In case you are really crunched for time, here are some stand-by food options that require only one step:

• Canned soups
  • Microwaveable frozen vegetables
  • Frozen meals –some of my favorites are Lean Cuisine and Kashi
  • Yogurt paired with your favorite cereal or granola
  • Mac & Cheese (because it just wouldn’t be college without it!)

Bon appétit collegiettes!

What are some of your favorite in-dorm meals? Comment below! 

Bentley University Class of 2014
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.